dsmc - command line option for user id?

tomem

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

my passwordaccess=prompt.

Whenever I start the dsmc, it asks me for user id and then password.

I always choose default user so hit ENTER only.

Is there the user id option in 'dsmc' command line or config file?

(there is -password but userID?)

t.

There is no userID option per se, but you can use the -SERVERN=<SERVERNAME> option. This tells the client which SERVERNAME stanza to read in the dsm.opt (NT) or dsm.sys (Unix). Then in the secondary stanza put the NODENAME you wish to use. The question is why would you not use PASSWORDACCESS=GENERATE? It encrypts the password and remember TSM wont let a user restore files their permissions don't have access to. For scripting it's more secure also.

hmmm...

- I've got only one server configuration in dsm.sys (so its default one).

- Second stanza is NODNAME

- with -SERVERN=<SERVERNAME> still asks for user id...

- I've got only one server configuration in dsm.sys (so its default one).

* You can have more than one SERVERNAME stanza within a dsm.sys, the nodename is just a value within the Stanza. Example provided:

SERVERNAME TSMSERV1 ****STANZA 1****

NODENAME AIXFS109

TCPSERVERADDRESS 192.168.2.182

SERVERNAME TSMSERV2 ****STANZA 2****

NODENAME BOB

TCPSERVERADDRESS 192.168.2.182

- Second stanza is NODNAME

* Again the above response answers this

- with -SERVERN=<SERVERNAME> still asks for user id...

* Yes, when not using PASSWORDACCESS=GENERATE the client will always ask for user name on the command line.

I must ask why would you not use PASSWORDACCESS=GENERATE? How are you automating backups without it?

The answer is NO

When you execute DSMC from the command line - you are accessing the TSM server via the actual client node name - as you registered it into TSM.

To validate this - do a <Q Admin>. I can almost guarantee you that you will have an admin ID equal to your node name. As you register the node - this is default.

The "prompt" process is a normal and an expected process. To have a null password - is not a good thing. I would recommend you do one of two things.

If you are satisfied with this - you're done.

If you are not - disable the session initiation portion of the client properties and remove the node from the admin list.

Hope this helps

Steven

you can pass a virtualnodename and use the password from a command line.

dsmc -virtualnodename=BOB -password=lateeda

Back