dsm.opt config on windows host

morganF

Newcomer
Reaction score
hi Everyone,

please explain to me one thing. i need to set up few nodes on one windows host. as i understand i need to configure scheduler and cad services for each of them, and every scheduler needs to point to specific dsm.opt (each node has one).
I am not sure but can I create one dsm.opt for all node stanzas that will be pointed while configuring scheduler?

You can create a generic dsm.opt which I do for most Windows or UNIX boxes. However, you cannot store this at a location outside the node itself since this may not be accessible (mapping broken, network issues, etc) when TSM needs it.

Generic dsm.opt files work. However, you will still need to append the nodename parameter (best practice even if nodename=servername, and specially when it is not) to the dsm.opt file.

Edit - completely missed this:

one node=one dsm.opt file

Generics will work but still needs to be appended with the node name PLUS these needs to be uniquely located, something like:

c:\tsm\node1\dsm.opt
c:\tsm\node2\dsm.opt

On multiple schduler setting, each scheduler will point to the the right location.

I have used this method on systems that have multiple node names and schedulers which would have just one named dsm.opt but slightly different contents. This is easier to script and manage remotely.

Last edited:
I am not sure but can I create one dsm.opt for all node stanzas that will be pointed while configuring scheduler?
No. You can only do stanzas on dsm.sys on Unix.

You should do something line:
dsm_node1.opt
dsm_node2.opt
etc.

And when you configure your schedulers and optionally CAD, you would specify that option file.

If you need to start the client using one of these option files, you would do:
cd "c:\program files\tivoli\tsm\baclient"
dsm -optfile=dsm_node1.opt -> for the GUI
dsmc -optfile=dsm_node1.opt -> for the command line

If you need to create a shortcut for the GUI for each of these nodes, create a shortcut to dsm.exe, then add the option like this:
upload_2016-3-16_9-51-22.png

Not sure if the following will help or muddy the waters even more.

Multiple Tivoli Storage Manager Node Instances on a Single Windows System

Also need to set the errorlogname and the schedlogname for each node.
If both nodes are writing to the same error and schedule log, good luck on determining which node wrote the error.

Manage multiple schedule requirements on one system

ie:
node1_dsm.opt
errrologname /path/node1_error.log
schedlogname /path/node1_sched.log

node2_dsm.opt
errorlogname /path/node2_error.log
schedlogname /path/node2_sched.log

Good Luck,
Sias

Back