DS4300 Deletion of Logical Drives

Stephan

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
www.twosix.ca
PREDATAR Control23

Hi guys.

First post within this forum, which should probably be named a bit more generic? IBM Storage Arrays? IBM DS?

Anyway, here is the question: On one of my ds4300, within a specific RAID 5 array, i deleted some Logical Drives without any problems, but i have 3 LUNs that i cannot delete. I keep getting an error that mentions the Logical Drives are reserved and should be release from the host first...Which they are not. Anyone seen this before?

Thanks.

PREDATAR Control23

do you think tivoli storage manager will help ? maybe this is a topic for another forum ? :)

That is why i posted it within the IBM Shark forum...Isn't that way this forum was created? NAS / Storage Servers > IBM Shark

I know this is 'mainly' a TSM site, but noticed that there is now some new forums available, such as this one, or another for Brocade switches etc...

Figured someone might be able to help.

PREDATAR Control23

Are the LUNs sitting in "undefined mappings" under your "Mappings view"?

If the host is "shut off" or disconnected, it may still show up under a Host group or host. If so, find it and right click the LUN and click "remove mapping".

Then it should be in "undefined mappings" and allow you to delete the LUN.

Hope this helps!

Chad Groen
Good Samaritan Society

P.S Yes, I think you are in the right forum......for the record :)

PREDATAR Control23

Thanks for the response Chad.
Yes, they are under Undefined Mappings, which makes complete sense since they are not mapped to any hosts. Which is why i find this weird.

Yet, it keeps mentionning that the LUN is reserved. Here is a copy/paste of the error :

Undeletable logical drive: ARRAY_1_LUN_007
Reason: Reserved
Recovery steps: Release through application and retry

I tried 'googling' this, but i still haven't found anything usefull yet.

Steph

PREDATAR Control23

Have the LUNS been deleted from the host? Can the host be rebooted? I have seen this before with Solaris where the server will hold a SCSI reserve and not let the LUN be deleted from the array.

PREDATAR Control23

I agree with tsmadm, this is mostly likely SCSI-3 PR (Persistent Reservation) thing.

There's a menu option on the DS4300 GUI to go and look at them and clear them, so you could look on there. Often used by clustering applications such as VCS, HACMP, TruCluster etc.

PREDATAR Control23

yes, advanced->maintenance->Persistent reservation in storage manager client.
its possible to download storage manager client demo version of storage manager client. its "simulator" of several storage subsystems and SM client.
Some tests can be made there ;)

try google SMClientDemo

PREDATAR Control23

Ohhhh! You guys are good! :) Thanks so much. That did the trick. Looks like those 3 LUN were 'reserved' somehow, on a box that does not exist anymore. I had no clue this option existed. Must read on that now! :)

THanks guys.

PREDATAR Control23

Hey guys new the the SAN thing. I have a DS4300, and its connected via fiber of course.. anyway i got familiar with the SM but need specifics on how to add and remove a host and so on.. I have never done this before and have two hosts that died for good will not turn on or anything servers are at EOL (end of life) so we have two new hosts ready to be assigned. am i making sense? if not let me know i will try to be more clear.