• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

DRM & Multiple Copy Pools

DanGiles

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
I want to use 2 sets of offsite copy pools, and keep these sets separate. Here is what I plan to do:

1. Run "backup stgpool" to the first set of copy pools
2. Run 'dbsnap'
3. Set the DRM parameters (e.g. drmplanprefix, drmvaultname, drmcopystgpool,...)
4. Run 'move drm wherestate=mountable...' on this set of copy pools with source=dbsnap
5. Run prepare with source=dbsnap
6. Repeat 1-5 using the 2nd set of copy pools, changing the DRM parameters for a new location & this set of copy pools.
(I'd then run backup database with type=full to keep onsite)

So, the volhistory should maintain the separate volume locations.

My question: if I set the DRM parameters to point to the first set of copy pools and run 'query drm wherestate=vaultretieve source=dbsnap', will it only pick up the database volumes at site 1?

Anyone doing this? (I suspect so!) Any caveats I should be aware of?

Denke, merci, thanks!

icewalker

ADSM.ORG Member
I've created two separate copy pools.

Code:
define stgpool CopyPool1 LTOCLASS3 PoolType=Copy Description="Copy 1 of Primary Pools." reclaim=100 reclaimprocess=1 maxscratch=100000 reusedelay=10

define stgpool CopyPool2 LTOCLASS3 PoolType=Copy Description="Copy 2 of Primary Pools." reclaim=100 reclaimprocess=1 maxscratch=100000 reusedelay=10
As for DRM, I have two separate scripts. My checkout_drm_tapes is below.

Code:
/* ---------------------------------------------------- */
/* Script Name: CHECKOUT_DRM_TAPES                      */
/* Description: CHeckout DRM tapes that conform to our  */
/*              needs, mainly DBBackups and Copypool1.  */
/* Parms: NONE                                          */
/* ---------------------------------------------------- */
move drmedia * wherestate=mountable tostate=vault copystg=COPYPOOL1 remove=bulk source=dbbackup
I have a similar script for COPYPOOL2 but without the DBBACKUP for source. I always make sure I work on COPYPOOL1 first and then COPYPOOL2. I've had no problems so far. If I need to bring tapes back onsite, I do a manual update of the volume after checking it back into the Librarian.

egtegt

ADSM.ORG Member
When I encounter that problem, I usually use dbsnapshot for one location and dbbackups for the other one.

It's more a workaround than a solution but it works :)

But I never used DRM for that

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 48 63.2%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 9.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guidocaffa