• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

DRM files - How long to keep?

tjcooper

ADSM.ORG Member
We have a 6 month retention policy. The C Drive on my TSM server is low on space. The original administrator had a horribl habit of making very small C drives despite the ample storage available on todays drives (yes, its frustrating).

I am looking for space to recover and noticed we have a DRMFiles folder with DRM files going back 8 years. From what I have read, each days file is all that is needed to recover to that day's state.

Is my understanding correct or do they build off eachother similiar to an incremental backup?

mikeymac

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Are these your recovery plan files? You should be removing these periodically.

Do a QUERY DRMSTATUS to see how long your plan files are being kept.

Use the SET DRMRPFEXPIREDAYS command to set an appropriate value.

Each day's plan stands on its own. I keep 14 days worth of plans in my environment.

BBB

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Re SET DRMRPFEXPIREDAYS - this only works for dr plan files stored on a remote server using server 2 server comms, this does not apply to storing the plans locally on the server, you need to use a script to do this automatically or delete them manually.

Tjcooper you can safely delete old DR plan files. A "safe" number is anything >= the number of days you keep your database backups, but you could add 2 weeks or to this to be extra cautious if you want. So if you keep tsm db backups for 2 weeks, delete dr plans older than 4 weeks.

mikeymac

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Well, duh.

Of course, BBB is correct. I actually have a Korn shell script setup that performs this function (it works so well, I'd forgotten about it!)

If you need a sample of a VBScript script that would do the same on Windows, let me know.

mikeymac

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Here ya go! Change the sDirectoryPath and AgeOfFiles variables to suit your purposes.

Code:
Option Explicit 
On Error Resume Next 
Dim oFSO, oFolder, sDirectoryPath 
Dim oFileCollection, oFile, sDir 
Dim AgeOfFiles 
' What directory are the files in?
sDirectoryPath = "C:\MyFolder" 
' Files must be at least this old to be deleted.
AgeOfFiles = 15
Set oFSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject") 
Set oFolder = oFSO.GetFolder(sDirectoryPath) 
Set oFileCollection = oFolder.Files 
For each oFile in oFileCollection
   If oFile.DateLastModified < (Date() - AgeOfFiles) Then 
     oFile.Delete(True) 
   End If   
Next 
Set oFSO = Nothing 
Set oFolder = Nothing 
Set oFileCollection = Nothing 
Set oFile = Nothing

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 4 11.4%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nur03