DRM checkin 'vault' tape as 'private'

Rhuobhe

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi I am new to managing DRM.

Problem: I accidentally move some DRM db backup tapes to vault. and they were checked out of the library.

I would like to get these tapes back into the library so I ran a checkin for one tape as private. I see the tape when i do 'q libv' as private. When I run 'q drm' I can see the tape listed as state of 'vault'

===

I am not sure it is a good idea to change these back to state of 'mountable' by updating the tape so i rather not do that if its not an issue.

My question:

So is it ok if I leave these drmedia tapes checked in as private until they finish their drm retention? My understanding is that even if this tape is inside the library, once drm runs and it gets changed to state of 'vaultretrieve' it will automatically be checked in as scratch?

Please let me know thank you!

is it ok if I leave these drmedia tapes checked in as private until they finish their drm retention?

If you have plenty of space in the library, sure tapes can be left in the library.
Keep in mind that the DRM tapes are to be sent off site for a possible disaster.
If there is a disaster at the primary location.
All the DRM tapes will also be lost because they were not sent off site.

Think of New York 09/11. Company is in Tower 1, the remote location of the DRM tapes are in basement of Tower 2. Both Towers goes down.

once drm runs and it gets changed to state of 'vaultretrieve' it will automatically be checked in as scratch?

The TSM Server will not automatically checkin the "vaultretrieve" tapes.
If you have a script that issue the move drmedia...cmd="checkin libvol LIB_NAME VOL_NAME status=scratch".

Good Luck,
Sias

Back