DR Test - has anyone tried this?

moon-buddy

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
I am sure this will work but I want to ask if anyone has tried this. Here is the scenario:

In the production environment, the transaction log are defined into three separate volumes, and the database are defined into ten volumes.

In a DR test, I want to combine the three log volumes into one - the size of course being the sum total of the three. Also, I like that the database volumes be combined into 5 volumes instead of ten, and of course the total being equal to the original ten volumes.

There seems to be no reason why this won't work. Has anyone tried this before in a DR Test?

While I haven't gone from 3 to 1 log volumes, I have done a number of TSM Server rebuilds and replacements using different numbers of volumes...just making sure that the total sizes are equal to or larger than the original Server's total.

Most commonly, I've gone from 6-12 log volumes down to 3 or 4...as well as many DB volumes down to 6-10 range.

As you stated in your posting...I believe all that really matters is that you have total sizes equal to or larger than the original server.

yes it will work with your logfile and your db! i had test before ;-)

Ed
Yep, Ive tested this before as well, the only modification you need to do is your DRM plan script and dsmserv.dsk file for disk volumes i.e. removing the extras and increasing the sizing of the others.

You don't even need to modify your dsmserv.dsk file ... i have done recently db and log volumes from 5 down to single volume. The size should be same or larger than the existing ...

Back