DP for VMware 8.1.4 VMwareUI

ILCattivo

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Morning all,

I want to configure some datamovers as such...

vStorage backup Server 1 - DM01
vStorage backup Server 2 - DM02
vStorage backup Server 3 - DM03

All of the above will be connecting to one vCenter 6.5 server.

If I install DP for VE on 'vStorage backup Server 1', it registers the vCenter plugin [VMwareUI] to that Server with the vCenter.

If I then run the same DP for VE install on 'vStorage backup server 2' will registering it with vCenter then break the registration of 'vStorage backup server 1' or will they co-exist and talk nicely?

My aim here is to try and manage all 3 DM's from one vCenter plugin on any one of the 3 vStorage backup servers [VMwareUI]
Can this be achieved?

Thanks

No can do i'm afraid..

When attempting to register a 2nd vStorage backup server to the same vCenter Server you get the following message...

'Registering the web client plug-in failed because the attempted version is not higher than the existing version. Unregister the existing extention.'

So my question now changes to this...

If within the 6.5 vSphere vCenter there are 2 Data Centres

DC 1
DC 2

...and there are clusters within each which are called the same i.e 'Production'

DC1
-Production <--- Backed up via DM01 on vStorage backup server 01
-Dev

DC2
-Production <--- Required to be backed up via DM02 on vStorage backup server 02
-Test

How does one manually define, either in an options file or a schedule, which DC's cluster you want a certain datamover to backup? You can define this easily for one DC's cluster with the first registered vStorage backup server & it's DataMover, but now how do you then define the second one on a different vStorage backup server and DM if you're now forced to set it up manually??

Thanks

On the second server you do not need to install complete ISP for VE, just data mover component. Not really sure of required steps for your setup (one vCenter, two data centers, n clusters), but it can be done, I am quite sure.
For every backup of a VM in environment where there are several datamovers you can choose what datamover to use. As far as I know, one datamover can serve one datacenter only, but it can serve more clusters (not smartest solution, it is good to have at least one datamover per cluster, since it can access storage with "hot add", and not over network, which is better)

These may or may not be of assistance

search youtube for these videos (p1 and p2) on Spectrum Protect for Virtual Environments. it is pretty good

Spectrum Protect for VMWare v8.1 - Part 1: Intro and SW install
(author is Jeremy Brovage)

also google the following below (it is for 7.1, but the concept i believe applies to the newer versions)

Tivoli Storage Manager for Virtual Environments installation cookbook

Hope this helps a little

Back