Domino TDP causes Domino crash

totty100

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm having a problem with the following TDP for Domino Archive Transaction Logs function.

TSM Server for Win 5.3.1.2

TDP for Domino 5.3.0.02 on Windows Server 2003 - SP1

Lotus Domino 6.5 Build 198 with Archival Logging enabled

When running the "domdsmc archivelog" via a scheduled task very few hours, some of the tasks return a major error in the domarc.log file:-

IBM Tivoli Storage Manager for Mail:

Data Protection for Lotus Domino

Version 5, Release 3, Level 0.02

(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1999, 2005. All rights reserved.

ACD5221I The D:\Tivoli\TSM\domino\domasch.log log file has been pruned successfully.

Starting Domino transaction log archive...

Initializing Domino connection...

comp = 11, fnc = 81, probeid = 79, errcode = 5010, extsympt =

Unexpected internal error returned to logger: 0x20762010

Logger Failure: Func=hlgStartLog RC=0x00002010 File=rm\rmrest.cpp:854

Recovery Manager: Unable to recover DB e:\lotus\domino\data\statrep.nsf

Most of the runs work perfectly, but every now and again we get this error on multiple Domino servers (all the same SW versions)

On our busiest Domino servers, this appears to be causing Domino to crash.

Any ideas please?

Hi

I had the same problem until a half of hour ago when I made a "downgrade" of the TDP client to 5.2.2, server stays 5.3.2, backup runs now for an hour and Domino doesn't crash (if will do in next half of day during first selective I'll let U know :)) but it seems ok. Good luck

Well, it's over. Domino does not crush, backup runs well. Only restore doesn't work in this way, the TSM Mail client crashes when restore tab clicked. So looking forward for other resolutions ...

Further investigation showed that crashes were only experienced within a certain type of Terminal Server session. As we were setting up a bunch of new servers, due to a Domino upgrade from 5 to 6.5, we were remoting in and out quite a bit. Seems that we don't have problems using the /console switch on mstsc.exe, but consistently got crashes without the switch (default).

Appreciate this is not a fix but is a stable getaround.

Once my company's dumb-ass accounts department have paid our TSM maintenance bill from January, I might be able to get an answer to the original problem from IBM!

The TS session allways kills it but in my case it did it during backup session on console too.

When the Microsoft Terminal Services client connects to the Terminal Servies server, it does so by opening a new session for every client connection (Please note that the MS Remote Desktop client is a Terminal Services client). Unlike third-party software, Terminal Services clients do not connect directly to the server's console session (also known as 'session 0'). Each Terminal Services session is independent, so processes in one session may not be seen or accessible from another session.

Because the Domino Server service runs in the scope of the OS console session (i.e. 'session 0'), the Domino Server cannot be properly accessed when logging in with a Terminal Services session. For example, if the Domino Server is started within the scope of the OS console (i.e. 'session 0'), a user logging in with a Terminal Services session will not be able to view the Domino Server console. Therefore, Domino does not support accessing Domino through a Terminal Services session.

Just to make it short, try this workaround on a command line

mstsc -v:hostname /f -console

Back