Domino redirected restores

c.j.hund

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm being asked to restore a database for a domino server which went down a few days ago. This is version 5.5.3 TDP for domino, and I'm using a 5.5.6 TSM server.

The target server is a production server, so I'm hoping to copy/update some config files and a shortcut to domdsm.exe in order to bring up the crashed server's domino TDP on this existing box. That seems like an easy enough task, except for the NOTESInipath. When I comment out the NOTESInipath for my redirected .opt file, it seems to default back to the path it was using for the existing environment. And when the GUI starts up, it still seems to be point at the existing environment rather than the crashed environment. This is using updated .opt and .cfg files which point back at this crashed environment.

Am I missing something obvious here? I can't find a good write-up on how to do a domino redirected restore.

Sincere thanks,
C.J.

I think this is as simple as restoring the original .opt files, and then running the domdsmc command to redirect the restored database from the original server to a recovery folder on the target server.

My question now, then is this: if you're doing what amounts to a disaster recovery of a .NSF file to a server which is already running domino backups, do you need to restore the original notes.ini file and/or reset the domino environment to use the new notes.ini file?

I found an older thread here which talked about the process:

https://adsm.org/forum/index.php?threads/tdp-domino-restore-from-another-node.16481/

I've gotten closer thanks to those instructions, but I'm still not able to do a "domdsmc q dbb" on the new server and successfully pull up backup information on the old server. This is, essentially, a disaster recovery procedure for TSM domino TDP. It's odd there's not much out there on the subject.

In case someone actually stumbles across this and finds it useful later .... my restore, I believe was complicated by the fact that this is a 5.5 domino instance, and there are other production instances on the same box. However, once I figured out to restore the original notes.ini file and tweak it to fit the situation, the instructions from the link above worked.

Back