DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL on Windows uses UNC path!?

baldonia

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello everyone, I discovered right now that the TSM Client on Windows uses the UNC path for the local filesystems also.
My problem is the following: I have a bunch of new fileserver that I configured to use the NODENAME of the old ones, with the hope that the backups would be added to the old set.
Today, however, I see that each node have 2 filespaces, like this one:

FILES-06 \\files-06\e$ 1 WinNT NTFS Yes 2,043 GB 75.8
FILES-06 \\files-56\e$ 2 WinNT NTFS Yes 2,047 GB 75.7

Is there any client option I can use to point the client to the first filespace?

Thank you all,
A.

PREDATAR Control23

Thank you @Trident but my problem is the backup job: the servers are backing up all the file as they were new and its quite a lot of data (many TBs).

PREDATAR Control23

Hello everyone, I discovered right now that the TSM Client on Windows uses the UNC path for the local filesystems also.
That's like this by design. It's because if you use the same node on 2 machines, it knows that \\machine1\c$ is C: on machine1 and \\machine2\c$ is C: on machine2. This way, it won't mix up the backups of the two machines. So in your case, you backed up E: on files-06 and on files-56. The client knows by the filespace name that this is 2 different machines. So on the new machine, you get a new filespace even if you use the old nodename.

the servers are backing up all the file as they were new and its quite a lot of data (many TBs).
That's because they are new, they don't exist in that filespace.

You might have been OK if you had renamed the original filespace to match the new machine name, but that all depends how you moved the files from the old machine to the new machine. If the ACLs changed in the move process, they would get backed up again. The machine SID is normally part of the ACLs.

PREDATAR Control23

Thank you @marclant and @Trident
I'll try the rename method: I copied the files with robocopy with all attributes and timestamps in place, so I should be lucky enough.

PREDATAR Control23

But you won't know until you try. It's worth trying in case it works.

PREDATAR Control23

It worked!! The backup processed only the new/changed files. Thank you all for the help.