Does TDP for Domino (on Windows) need it's own scheduler-service ?

obiwan2

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi,

I installed the TDP for Domino on a Windows 2008 Server. The manual backups are working but all schedules ("domarc" every 4 hours a day) get the status "Missed".

I have one local installation and the schedule for this runs without any problem.

Following the IBM-Documentation I installed a new Service called "TDP Scheduler" with /autostart=no and /startnow=no.
It seems (for me) that the Scheduler-Service is totally useless ---> still "Missed" is reported...

Do I really need this service installed ???

Furthermore I get the following message in domdsm.log:

07/01/2011 11:56:58 =========================================================================
07/01/2011 11:56:58 Request : ARCHIVELOG
07/01/2011 11:56:58 Number of Buffers : 3
07/01/2011 11:56:58 Buffer Size : 1024
07/01/2011 11:56:58 Wait for Tape Mounts? : Yes
07/01/2011 11:56:58 Threshold high : 0
07/01/2011 11:56:58 Threshold low : 0
07/01/2011 11:56:58 TSM Options File : C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\domino\dsm.opt
07/01/2011 11:56:58 TSM Nodename Override :
07/01/2011 11:56:58 -------------------------------------------------------------------------
07/01/2011 11:57:11 Total Domino transaction log files ready for archive: 0
07/01/2011 11:57:11 Total Domino transaction log files archived: 0
07/01/2011 11:57:11 Throughput rate: 0.00 Kb/Sec
07/01/2011 11:57:11 Total bytes transferred: 0
07/01/2011 11:57:11 Elapsed processing time: 0.00 Secs
07/01/2011 11:57:11 ACD5613E You can only archive logs on a Domino Server with archival logging on.
07/01/2011 11:57:11 Domino return code: 3745.

I fI have "circulating" logging on what do I have to do to backup these Transact.-Log's ?

Thanks !!

Hi,

with circular logging all you can do is Domino full backups.

Harry

Hi Harry,

can you explain why this is the only "possibility" ?

At this time I have 4 Schedules defined on the TSM-Server for this TDP-client...
- DOM_ARCHLOGS (every 4 hrs a day)
- DOM_INALOGS (every Sunday)
- DOM_INCDB (every day)
- DOM_SELDB (every Saturday)

So the one-and-only usefull schedule would be DOM_SELDB ? What happens with the Transaction-Logfiles ?
Do I still need them after a selective backup or must they be deleted ?

Sorry for these stupid questions but this is the first time of configuring a Domino-Client.....

Thanks

Hi,

this is how Domino works - if you have circular logging enabled, then the log is wrapped at the end. So you cannot be sure the log was not wrapped between your full backup and log backup. If it was then you cannot restore it as it does not contain all the data.
This is what documentation says:
Data Protection for Domino can only back up transaction logs from a Domino server that has archival logging in effect. Transaction logs cannot be backed up from a Domino server that has circular or linear loop logging in effect.

What is the total amount of Domino databases? If the amount is small then making a full backup daily is the most simple solution (create new schedule for DOM_SELDB run daily).
Enabling the archival logging on the Domino server is not an option?

Harry

Morning Harry,

i talked to the Domino-Admins and they will change the Logging-Mode from circular to archive. They had set it to circular due to limited harddisk-space...

When the logging-mode is now changed to archive, what is the suggested (best ?) method to do all things in the right order ?
I think the 4 schedules (see my last Reply) are correct.... but in which order must they run ? And when ?

Thank you very much for your help until now !!!

Hubert

Hi,

your schedules seem to be reasonable - what you have to do:
1) full backups (DOM_SELDB) once a time
2) log backups (as often as required)
3) incremental backups - this backup uses FULL backups for new databases and databases after DBIID change (for example after running the compact DB in copy mode), it skips unchanged databases and changed databases using archive logging (as they are backed up using the logs)
4) inactivate logs - cleanup task (once a time) - deletes obsolete log backups from TSM

One important thing - when archival logging is activated, Domino keeps the logs until they are backed up. If your backup stop working, it is very likely Domino will crash after time as it consumes all free space - not a problem with circular logging. So watch out!

Harry

Hi Harry,

thank you very much for this informations ! This helps me a lot in handling the Domino-TDP !

Let me just repeat, what I have to do:

- defining a one-time schedule that starts a selective backup of the DB
- defining a schedule to backup the transaction-logs every "x" hours
- defining a schedule for daily incremental DB-backups
- defining a schedule to inactivate the transaction-logs

Is this the proper sequence ?

Once again ... many many thanks for your help !!

Hubert

Hi,

just a correction - the selective (full) backup must be taken periodically (weekly, let's say) - I wrote "once a time" not "one-time"

except that it is OK

Harry

Back