Does HSM use scheduler or cad?

rwhtmv

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I am BRAND new to HSM, but been using TSM for 5 years. I'm at 5.3.4 on the TSM server.

I installed HSM for Windows 5.3.2 on a test file server on a 90 day trial. I have set up a job and done some manual migrations and retrieves successfully. I have some newbie questions that may sound stupid, but here goes:

1. Does HSM have to be scheduled to automatically migrate files? I moved some directories (with changed dates that would apply to the migration settings) into the directory covered by the job and it did not automatically migrate the files (as far as I can tell.)

2. After the files are stubbed do they look different to the end user (like a shortcut arrow or different color)?

3. Can TSM be backing up files during a HSM migration, because HSM connects to the TSM server at port 1500, right?

Thanks for any help you can provide. This looks like another great Tivoli product, but I want to use it correctly.

Rod

of course, you can creat HSm job and launch them in a script,
creat a schedule associate with the hsm_node which launch the cpecific script,

your question supposed that you are migrating new files too ..? 'cause if your file need to be backup that's mean that the file was changed or just creat, so you don't need to HSMise it up.

but technicaly i don't think you can backup a file which is being migrated by HSM....

Last edited:
HSM Windows Version

Are you talking about HSM for Windows ?
If so, first thing you should do is get a newer version.
5.3.2.0 is totally outdated. 5.3.4.10 or 5.4 are the latest versions.
5.4 includes a backup before migration btw.

To your questions:
I think you should read the manual first. That would answer question 1 and 2
and help running the product.

1) There is no automatic migrate. You start a job or a scheduler does, or somebody uses the GUI.
2) The look exactly the same to user, one of the goals of HSM4WIN btw.

Back