Discard data =yes

tsmdumber

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a volume which is damaged. Unfortunately that volume does not have a secondary copy.

this volume contains only flat files backups .

I figure there is only 1 way to recover the lost data which is querry the list of servers backed up in that tape and do a full backup on those mentioned list.

My question is what if i Delete the volume with discard data=yes option will the lost data be backed up during the next incremental backup?

I know this is a long shot I am just hoping against hope because list of the servers on that tape is huge.

Regards,

TSMDUMBER

hmm ... lost data is lost for sure ... what will happen during next incemental backup? the clients checks the last active version on the TSM-DB and all new and changed objects on the client will be backuped.
deleted objects are marked as inactive.

Thanks.

in that case say a dll file which never modifies and hence there is only 1 version available.

after i do the delet volume this file is no longer avilable in backups. Would this make the file eligible for next incremental?

in that case,

say a dll file..... which never modifies and hence has only 1 version available.

So after i do the delete volume this file is no longer available in backup.

Would this make the file eligible for next incremental?

Hi guys,

better approach would be do update the volume to destroyed. If a volume is destroyed and a backupjob find the damaged files (from this volume) o a client, i will automatically saved on a new volume. The file record on the damaged volume will be removed. Doing that way, you can still see the missing files. (if you want;) )

greetings

Thanks Olis!

I opted for deleting data because i dont want the client to show a file which can not be restored!

difficult to explain to the management and the admins! i am better off with a file not available in restore window rather having a file which can not be restored!

I know... i know, that the reason for (if you want ;) )

Back