Disaster Recovery: Restoring TSM

Snafu

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi

We recently deployed TSM, and now I'm working on revising our DR plan. I'm wondering if it's possible to start restoring servers directly off the DR Media or do we first have to restore the on-site storage pool from the DR Media and restore from that?

Secondly, the IBM consultant we worked with to set-up this environment recommended that we not backup our TSM server, just the storage pools and the DB. Is this sound advice? If so, are there any file I should be regularly taking off the TSM server.

For TSM 5.5 it was recomended to store backups of:
DEVCNFG.OUT, VOLHIST.OUT, DSMSERV.OPT & DSMSERV.DSK; Also, a 'q sys' saved to a file and stored offsite is helpful.

Not sure if more or less to this list became apparent for TSM 6.x.

use prepare command and save that offsite ... with DB backup and prepare output file you can recover well enought

Hi Snafu,

When running in Disaster Recovery Mode, data are recoverable from the copy storage pools as soon as the primary volumes have been marked as destroyed (access=destroyed) and copy volumes have been marked as available (access=readwrite or access=readyonly). If using DRM, there some macro files for this purpose but it's also easy by hand with a command like this one :
update volume * wherestg=<stg_name> access=destroyed
(you'll maybe habe to narrow a bit more, it's just a short example)

If using TSM v6, you'll need to have a valid copy of your volhist.dat file (plus devonf.dat and dsmserv.opt) in order to restore your DB whereas you ware able to restore it just by knowing the name of the volume containing the DB backup in TSM v5. So, I really advise using DRM and the Disaster Recovery Plan file prepared. It will contain all the (minimal) informations you'd need in case of a disaster.

Regards,
Erwann

Thanks everyone. Just so I'm clear the file I should be taking off the TSM server are:
DEVCNFG.OUT, VOLHIST.OUT, DSMSERV.OPT & DSMSERV.DSK

Back