Directory stgpool and server-side deduplication

paulpl

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm using TSM with directory stgpool, on client side I have some encrypted files that I would like not to dedup. Let's say I'm doing a lot of changes on them and backup them often, deduplication of this files load the server and dedup ratio is not satisfying (because of encryption). I know of course about exclude.dedup but this only work on client-side deduplication. Is there any way to tell server to leave this data alone and still using directory pool.

The only way is if you switch to client-side dedup for that node.

Ok, I think that it's not possible to tell tsm server to not dedup specific objects. Inline dedup is in use even if file is excluded from client-dedup. So I need to use nondedup stgpool for this files.

I think you are right, it just prevents client-side dedup, but doesn't prevent server-side.

I'm not sure I'd worry about it though. They would be stored in non-deduped containers anyway:
Q15. Why do I see two different types of containers stored in my filesystem(s)?
The directory-container storage pool separates non-deduplicated data extents from the deduplicated data extents. The deduplicated extents are stored in xxxxxxx.dcf type containers and non-deduplicated data extents (encrypted data and metadata) are stored in xxxxxxx.ncf type of containers. You do not need to manage containers because the server manages containers automatically.
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...r/page/Directory-container storage pools FAQs

It's up to you, but I'd leave it as-is. The simpler the better.

Back