Directory Container Pool on NFS???

chad_small

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.tsmadmin.com
I assume this can be done but wanted some feedback to verify. Can a directory storage pool be defined to a NFS mounted file systems? We have an issue with some cheap disk we want to connect to an AIX server but the disk cannot be SAN attached due to bad drivers (long story).

Hi Chad,
We are about to setup a whole TSM environment which will make use EMC Isilon storage (which can only be accessed thru NFS) , and will exclusively make use of container storage pools, thus the answer is yes, definitively ! Note however that performance of NFS might be a problem as your server is running on AIX, where NFS implementation is not that good ...

Cheers.

Arnaud

Can a directory storage pool be defined to a NFS mounted file systems?
Yes, to Spectrum Protect, you just point it to directories, it doesn't care if it's SAN or NFS attached. I'd be more worried about performance than functionality though.

Note however that performance of NFS might be a problem as your server is running on AIX
Good point. I worked with a customer that had performance issues on Linux with NFS/Isilon as well. They did alright during the backup, but the performance was awfully slow during restores. I don't know if they managed to get it resolved or not.

Having said that, the large blueprint (https://ibm.biz/BdHFmv) is using NFS to connect to IBM Elastic Storage, but it's a different animal altogether.

I remembered a co-worker telling me one his customers got it to work good with RedHat and NFS Isilon. It took them a while to tweak the configuration though and they have to work with their storage vendor for a while.

I'm working with a customer now that's having severe performance issues with RHEL 6 and NFS Isilon especially during TSM DB backups. I was wondering if anyone could share any tweaks they did to get it purring. Here are mount options.

x.x.x.x:/ifs/Tivoli/backup /tsmisln01 nfs vers=3,tcp,hard,intr,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576

Try this:
Code:
x.x.x.x:/data/col1/tsm  /mnt  nfs     hard,intr,nfsvers=3,tcp,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,bg,noatime 1 1

Also, my NFS is layer 2 - meaning no routing/gateways

Back