Directory Container pool capacity planning

rowl

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I can't seem to find any information how to plan out the underlying disk capacity for use in a directory container storage pool. For example, say we have 500TB source data and testing shows we can achieve 80% reduction with dedup and compression.

First pass it would appear we need 100TB to store this data, and we don't want to run this more than 80% full so take that to 125TB. Then there is expired data in containers, new containers and this will generate additional overhead that we need to account for. I have always been told for tape or disk volumes one should use a ~2x multiplier to account for worst case where every volume is 60% full (before reclaim).

Is there any good rule of thumb for this sort of capaicty planning?

Thanks,
-Rowl

Hi Rowl,
I found this pdf, if you fancy reading :D
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...s%20v3.1.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0GxJxb-G3XW074_nOVeT6g

Snippet:
IBM Spectrum Protect container storage pool data reduction ratios typically range from 2:1 (50% reduction) to 15:1 (93% reduction). The ratio of 15:1 corresponds to an overall data reduction when factoring in the data reduction benefits of progressive incremental backups. Data reduction depends on both the type of data and type of backups performed. Lower data reduction ratios are associated with backups of unique data (for example, such as progressive incremental data). Higher data reduction ratios are associated with backups that are repeated, such as repeated full backups of databases or virtual machine images. Mixtures of unique and repeated data results in ratios within that range. If you aren't sure of what type of data you have and how well it reduces, for planning purposes, use a 4:1 data reduction for progressive incremental workloads, or an 8:1 data reduction for daily full workloads.

Regards,
SElias

Back