Differences between dsmcad and dsmc sched

barteku

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

On one client (Solaris 5.9) when I start dsmcad proccess I see on server that schedule have status Pending and backup do not starting, when I start dsmc sched proccess backup is starting.
Can somebody explain me what is different between 'dsmc sched' and 'dsmcad' on the client side?

thanks,
b.

The dsmcad runs as a background service and also allows the web client to run. Using dsmc sched runs in console mode. I had used the console mode because for 2 nodes in past that simply would not run as a service and i never figured out why.

Thanks for your replay JonRoenick.

So it means that i have same problem on two nodes or maybe i have wrong configuration from server side because when i run dsmcad proccess backup are not running. I checked this on Linux node and on solaris node.

My TSM installation:

Storage Management Server for Solaris 8/9 - Version 5, Release 3, Level 6.0

Client: from 5.3 to 5.5.1 - no success.

Hi,

you could check following options in your dsm.opt or dsm.sys:

'managedservices'
'tcpclientport'
'httpport'

regards
/noodles

For dsmcad to work properly and call dsmc to start the backup, the dsm.sys file should contain the entry:

MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE

For dsmcad to work properly and call dsmc to start the backup, the dsm.sys file should contain the entry:

MANAGEDSERVICES WEBCLIENT SCHEDULE

this is the entry , that dsmcad controlls the webclient and scheduler

but you have to set the dsmcad to controll the sched/webcl ... as a parant service of dsmcad

this is the entry , that dsmcad controlls the webclient and scheduler

but you have to set the dsmcad to controll the sched/webcl ... as a parant service of dsmcad

That is why you start only dsmcad and not worry about "dsmc sched" as dsmcad will call dsmc sched and also control the webclient protion. All of my AIX just have dsmcad running.

Back