Determine the number of licenses consumed by BA clients

Status
Not open for further replies.

serdemo

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Is there a way to determine the number of licenses consumed by BA clients of a specific TSM server? Sort of query on the server side or something?

'query pvuestimate' - it's pretty useless unless your baclient versions are up to date.

If you have switched to the capacity licensing model then running a query against the auditoccupancy table will give you per node primary storage pool occupancies (e.g. 'select node_name, backup_mb from auditocc').

You need to be on TSM server 6.3 to use 'query pvuestimate', I think. And there are lots of limitations.

ILMT is a possibility, it's a bit overkill but free and you might need it anyway depending on your TSM environment. Beware that it is not flawless, event though IBM accept the reports for audits.

What we did (Windows only) back in the PVU days was create a schedule that started a powershell script that deployed and started cpu-z, parsed the result and put it in a sql database.

Guys, thank you for information. I understood that I need to clculate my PVU consumption manually as I don't have TSM 6.3. One more question.. Some nodes registered with TSM are not being backed up and some of them are not even alive anymore. Do they still consume PVUs?

Some nodes registered with TSM are not being backed up and some of them are not even alive anymore. Do they still consume PVUs?

With PVU licensed software there is no such thing as knowing exactly what you are expected to pay for ...

If you are using ILMT its agent will detect the TSM client software, whether is registered with your TSM or anyone elses TSM or not, and you will be billed for it unless you exclude it in your reports.

We were recently audited and had no problems justifying that we shouldn't pay for dead nodes or for nodes that were not in production anymore and not backed up, but still accessible on the network.

If you are using ILMT its agent will detect the TSM client software, whether is registered with your TSM or anyone elses TSM or not, and you will be billed for it unless you exclude it in your reports.

We were recently audited and had no problems justifying that we shouldn't pay for dead nodes or for nodes that were not in production anymore and not backed up, but still accessible on the network.

Ok, I'll check out ILMT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back