deleting volume from diskpool

Rhuobhe

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi I am running IBM SP 7.1 on AIX. I am trying to remove a stgpool volume from one disk stgpool that is hardly ever used so that I can add to another that needs it more to accommodate the nightly backup data which is increasing. I am very tight on space on this main disk stgpool that i need to increase let's call it DISKPOOL so I am trying to find ways to increase it by a few hundred GB.

The disk stgpool I want to take away from ARCHDISK has a total of ten 100 GB stgpool volumes.

This is the command I ran to remove one of the volume:

# update volume /tsmstg/ad/ARCH10.DSM access=readonly
# delete volume /tsmstg/ad/ARCH10.DSM
# ANR2208I Volume /tsmstg/ad/ARCH10.DSM deleted from storage pool ARCHDISK.

I still see '/tsmstg/ad/ARCH10.DSM' there in the OS. My question is if it is safe to simply 'rm' '/tsmstg/ad/ARCH10.DSM' as root so that I can reclaim the OS capacity and create a new volume in my other disk stgpool. My AIX experience is very limited so i don't want to mess anything up by removing the ARCH10.DSM file.

Thanks for your help

If the volume is no longer referenced in Spectrum Protect in Q VOL, then it's safe to delete from the OS.

With the "old" storage pool(s) (DISK device class) volumes that you delete from storage pool(s) remain on the filesystem and have to be manually removed. However, this is not the case with FILE device class - they will be automatically deleted from the filesystem.

Back