• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

deleting volume from diskpool

Rhuobhe

ADSM.ORG Member
Hi I am running IBM SP 7.1 on AIX. I am trying to remove a stgpool volume from one disk stgpool that is hardly ever used so that I can add to another that needs it more to accommodate the nightly backup data which is increasing. I am very tight on space on this main disk stgpool that i need to increase let's call it DISKPOOL so I am trying to find ways to increase it by a few hundred GB.

The disk stgpool I want to take away from ARCHDISK has a total of ten 100 GB stgpool volumes.

This is the command I ran to remove one of the volume:

# update volume /tsmstg/ad/ARCH10.DSM access=readonly
# delete volume /tsmstg/ad/ARCH10.DSM
# ANR2208I Volume /tsmstg/ad/ARCH10.DSM deleted from storage pool ARCHDISK.

I still see '/tsmstg/ad/ARCH10.DSM' there in the OS. My question is if it is safe to simply 'rm' '/tsmstg/ad/ARCH10.DSM' as root so that I can reclaim the OS capacity and create a new volume in my other disk stgpool. My AIX experience is very limited so i don't want to mess anything up by removing the ARCH10.DSM file.

Thanks for your help

dcabro

ADSM.ORG Member
With the "old" storage pool(s) (DISK device class) volumes that you delete from storage pool(s) remain on the filesystem and have to be manually removed. However, this is not the case with FILE device class - they will be automatically deleted from the filesystem.

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 17 19.5%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 53 60.9%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 7 8.0%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
srinathkodela