deleting a TSM DB BACKUP

jbautista

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi ,

I want to delete a specific TSM DB BACKUP which is on FILE device class only to free up some space. I issued the command and it gives me an error"

> DELETE VOLHIST TODATE=12/05/2014 TOTIME=07:44:49 TYPE=DBBACKUP DEVCLASS=DBBACKUP
ANR6978E DELETE VOLHISTORY: Invalid device class DBBACKUP.
ANS8001I Return code 3

Questions:
1, Is it really device class name does the parameter pertains to or the Device class type where the TSM DB BACKUP was save?
2. Is the "DBBACKUP" word a reserve name on TSM because as you can see I used that name as a DEVICE CLASS NAME?

Thanks,

Yes the same value for DEVCLASS as you used during the backup db.

If you don't know which devclass was used, then use this command to identify it:
Code:
QUERY VOLHIST TODATE=12/05/2014 TOTIME=07:44:49 TYPE=DBBACKUP

Keep in mind that it will also delete all other database backup associated with that device class prior to the todate/totime values.

Thanks marclant.

If I understand it right, I can't used that command because it will also delete the DB BACKUP that was on TAPE device class. I only want to delete the TSM DB BACKUP that is on FILE device class.

Further reading on the command, the inclusion on device class name only works on SERVER to SERVER virtual volumes device class and our setup is not configure to that. We are just using a FILE device class which is on NFS.

Also, I forgot to add we are using DRM as well that is why we want only that specific devclass to be deleted.

Thanks

You are right, devlass is for virtual volume only, so looks like you have to let it expire on its own.

Back