Delete backup of NAS NDMP on TSM

Xeroid

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I was wondering how I could delete a NAS NDMP backup from the tsm server? I only need to delete one object, not a filespace. I have tried via the GUI, delete backup data, but then the NAS node is not showing. Also in the CLI I do not find the right command.

Thanks!
Dennis

Is this windows or Linux? TSM Version? If windows did you setup the webclient for the NDMP node and are you using a Table of Contents?
1. You have to get a windows box and install the TSM Client 5.4 and above.
2. You have to put the client password into password prompt.
3. Install the web client with the setup wizard.
3. After you do this you need to grant authortiy to the client with the command below.
[grant authority new_server class=node authority=owner node=ndmp_client]
4. You then need to open up IE or Firefox.
5. Go to http://new_server:1581 it will prompt for password. Put it in.
6. You will then see the ndmp client located in restore option. You have to only restore in current location.

Hi, This is windows tsm v6.1.3.4

Every step that you are explaining, I have already setup in my current environment. No problems there.
But I want to DELETE an object (Full or DIFF ndmp image) from a node with type=nas.

Thanks!

Have you tried to query the TOC for the object you are wanting to delete? Other than this I have nothing. I have only done a little with NDMP. h q toc
Syntax

>>-Query TOC--node_name--filespace_name------------------------->

>--+----------------------------------------------+------------->
'-CREATIONDate--=--date--CREATIONTime--=--time-'

.-Format--=--Standard-----.
>--+-------------------------+---------------------------------><
'-Format--=--+-Standard-+-'
'-Detailed-'

From the command line type: q nasbackup [nas name] begind=today-60(for 60 days) and this should list your objects. From this point you should be able to remove what you want. Not pretty but here are my results: (copy and paste them into a text document and it looks better.

Node Name Filespace Object Type Object Creation Has Table Mgmt Class Image
Name Size (MB) Date of Conte- Name Storage
nts (TOC- Pool Nam
)?
------------ ----------- ----------- --------- ---------- --------- ---------- --------
TXLPHQNA01 /HQITApps Full Image 402,368.9 10/27/2011 Yes STANDARD TAPEPOOL
19:00:30
TXLPHQNA01 /HQITApps Differenti- 171.4 10/28/2011 Yes STANDARD TAPEPOOL
al Image 19:05:32

I have figured this all out already...
But in the end can you tell me how to delete it ?

For example how would you delete your diff image?

Hello Xeroid,

Did you ever get a response or figure this out? I'm investigating the same thing at the moment.

Deletion of NAS backups is possible, supported and documented at the filespace level (i.e., deletion of all backups for a given volume). However I've found no statement about the deletion of individual NDMP backup images. For non-NDMP data deletion of individual file is achievable and supported from a BA Client whose corresponding NODE entry on the TSM server is configured with BACKDELETE=YES.

For NDMP data this doesn't seem to be the case. While we can 'query backup -class=nas' from the BA Client CLI to see individual images I can't figure out a way to issue a 'delete backup' command (-CLASS is invalid for the DELETE command) and the GUI doesn't show the NDMP tree in the 'Delete Dackup Data' panel, only on the 'Delete Filespaces' panel.

Of course there's the backdoor route of deleting objects from the TSM Server itself but this is both unsupported, highly ill-advised.

Has anybody else run up against this, found a solution or a workaround?

Many Thanks,

Hi David,

I asked the question once to an IBM support guy regarding SQL db 's(tdp for sql) and indeed he told me that it is not possible via a tsm command. If I wanted to have this feature available, the best thing to do was to request like a 'program enhancement' (IBM gives it a name which I don't remember at the moment), which I offcourse never did ;-). The same goes for domino and NDMP backups. Only thing left is deleting it at the database level, which IBM told me not to or keep it in mind when you are restoring it.

FWIW, you sure can deactivate TDP for SQL Server backups both from the GUI and from the CLI using the INACTIVATE command.

// David Mc

Did anyone tried to turn around this questions with copygroup policies?
In this case you can delete a particular diff image backup.

If you change retainextra you can delete the backup. But you have some problems.
If you try to delete a middle diff image you cant do it before you delete preview images

Back