delete backup - many nodes

asusg1

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Environment:
TSM Server 7.1.7
TSM B/A Client 7.1.6.4

Good afternoon,
We need to delete some old backup files from many nodes.
I know I can accomplish this stask with the command "delete backup", but I have to do it node by node.
Due to the fact that the "delete backup command" will be always the same, something like "delete backup "x:\backup\*.trn" -subdir=yes -deltype=inactive -todate=04/04/2017", I wonder if there is a way to schedule the same task, maybe with the old "Administration Center", in order to achieve the same results.
Do you have any experiences or some examples to share?

Thank you very much

Best Regards.

Frank

Delete is not a valid action for a client schedule.

You could create a new management class for those .trn files with a shorter retention. And then in a client option set, give this option to all the clients:
include ?:\...\*.trn TRN_MC

This way, you deal with the problem now and you prevent it from happening in the future.

Dear marclant, thank you very much for your reply.
I see what you mean.
Best regards.

Frank

Just keep in mind that it will take a new client backup to rebind those files to the new management class.

Yes, I was aware of this aspect.
Thank you again!

Best Regards.
Frank

So to be a little more clear do you need to delete backups or their data in general because they are decommed drives/servers? If you need to delete the clients data do it as a server script by generating a command list from an SQL script.

SELECT 'DEL FILESPACE', VARCHAR(NODE_NAME,20) as NODE_NAME, FILESPACE_ID, 'NAMETYPE=FSID', 'WAIT=YES' from FILESPACES where node_name in ('NODE1','NODE2','...') ordere by NODE_NAME

Take the output and paste it into a macro or TSM server script (preferable) and execute it or schedule it. If the nodes to have data deleted match a pattern you could use that with the IN option

where node_name in (select node_name where node_name like 'WIN-VISTA-%') blah blah blah

or

where node_name in (select node_name from nodes where lastacc_time<=(current_timestamp - 90 days))

Back