del vol question

foobar2devnull

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a broken tape in my primary pool which (I think) causes my reclamation to fail (ANR1163W).

My question is this. If I delete the volume, will TSM see that the files that where deleted from the volume need to be backed up again or will I remain with a "hole" in my backups until I force a full backup of the affected servers?

My second question is ;)

Will deleting the failed primary volume solve my reclamation issue or will I have to
a) wait for the next backup to have the files available for the reclamation?
b) delete the DRM volumes?

I am now stuck with about 180 tapes over the reclamation threshold which I can't reclaim.

Thanks!

Hi all,

I have a broken tape in my primary pool which (I think) causes my reclamation to fail (ANR1163W).

My question is this. If I delete the volume, will TSM see that the files that where deleted from the volume need to be backed up again or will I remain with a "hole" in my backups until I force a full backup of the affected servers?

My second question is ;)

Will deleting the failed primary volume solve my reclamation issue or will I have to
a) wait for the next backup to have the files available for the reclamation?
b) delete the DRM volumes?

I am now stuck with about 180 tapes over the reclamation threshold which I can't reclaim.

Thanks!

First, analyze the activity log to be sure this issue occured on a primary volume (ANR1163W is related to offsite volume).
If the issue is on a primay volume you must restore it. Put it in unavailable state and launch the restore vol command.

Like fidel says. Identify the tape first and if it's in a primary or copy pool.

If a primary, follow this: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21219227

As usual, the answer is: "it depends". If the data on that tape doesn't exist in a copy pool, then the client will automatically backup those files again during the next incremental backup. If they exist in a copy pool, you need to follow the technote I gave above to restore it.

Hi guys,

I was unclear. The error ANR1163W shows up during reclamation. What I believe is that a broken tape in the primary tape pool is making it impossible to build a new tape for the copy pool as the files needed are unavailable. I think this leads to error ANR1163W and is making reclamation fail every time.

Thank you for your answers!

What I believe is that a broken tape in the primary tape pool is making it impossible to build a new tape for the copy pool as the files needed are unavailable.
So, if you identify that tape, then you can use the procedure I gave you to recover that volume.

Back