define volume extremely slow

pshedlock

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I have always scripted my define volume command and run a mix of pre-defined volumes and bfs volumes. Beginning about 6 months ago, the define volume is taking HOURS to define a 100GB volume, which used to take about 3 minutes each. I have opened a ticket with IBM and they haven't been able to help.

I am currently running 8.1.8.200 on RHEL7 7.5 kernel 3.10.0-957.21.3.el7.x86_64. All storage pools are using NFS.

I even created a new device class and pointed it to local SSDs and the define volume was just as bad, any thoughts?

PREDATAR Control23

Verify the diskspeed using dd and post the results
change the path to both your SSD and the regular disk system.
post the exact command/script you are using.

use:
if=/dev/zero of=/tsm/stg/files/test1.img bs=1M count=1000 oflag=dsync
if=/dev/zero of=/tsm/stg/ssd/test1.img bs=1M count=1000 oflag=dsync

PREDATAR Control23

yes defining volumes is slow even on local ssd. Its only defining volumes that is slow. I can move data from one volume to another, i create copy pools to FC LTO8 tapes, create offsite replication pools to antother TSM server, all fine and all to/from nfs diskpools.

command from script:
def vol finance_d /tsm/diskpool/finance/v425 format=102400 wait=yes

I switched from FC diskpools to nfs 2 years ago. Performance is fine and always had been, including defining volumes. Again, it is just define volumes. This is the closest thing is was was to find: https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/define-volume-sles-12-sp2-nfs-has-slow-performance