DEFINE SERVER entries in the devconf.dat

sergio.morales

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
http
So I am afraid of breaking my entire environment by running a UPDATE SERVER XXX SERVERPASSWORD=NEWPASSWORD because this server is the "master" for a LOT of other servers and distributes policies/etc/etc . . .
I need to test if the serverpassword I am using is valid, but I can't think of a way of doing so without resetting it.

What I am trying to accomplish is to add a new server to the environment for the purpose of replicating nodes to it from the "master" . . . so the question is, can I take the DEFINE SERVER entry from the devconf.dat file for the "master" server and simply paste it into the devconf.dat file of the new server, stop and restart TSM and have it "work"?

These are Linux and AIX servers . . .

Sorry to not give any concrete details . . .

Thanks in advance!
sERGE

can I take the DEFINE SERVER entry from the devconf.dat file for the "master" server and simply paste it into the devconf.dat file of the new server, stop and restart TSM and have it "work"?
NO!

Devconfig is a backup of what is in the DB, it’s only used during a DB restore.

So what would be the best way to fix this? Is there any way to verify what the password actually is?

sERGE

No, that would be a security flaw.

You make sure you follow the right steps and no typos. Test after, fix if needed. You can always redo it.

With crosssefine=yes, you may not need the password for the server, only for the new server.

Back