dedup - EDL VTL

toxy13

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi everyone,

some Managers want to use only a VTL and no TAPE Library :-(

A big criteria is the dudup function for the EMC DL VTLfamily, has someone experience with the EDL and dedup using TSM?

Thanks!

Before looking for Dedup appliance... and if you can i would wait what TSM 6 will offer for dedup ratio/performance..
our Dedup project and evaulting is in waiting mode. We want to see if you can get a decend ratio/performance since it will be included in TSM. if not we will invest in a dedup hardware appliance.

nobody (Management) will wait for tsm 6.0 :-(

now, we must use EDL and the EDL dedup ... I'am only an ADMIN not a MANAGER ....

I got an 95TB usabable EDL 4106 (no dedup but with HW compression) and I'm satisfied with it.. I got good performance with it. We were going to add another EDL in our remote site and we were talking about 300TB.. but all this is cold until the TSM 6.0

The only "bad note" i will give it's not the machine, but the lack of knowledge with the EMC Consulting service. There is a small number of EMC employe that are realy good with TSM. it's a matter of finding them!

We are trying to avoid moving from our EMC DL720 to the newer EDL. We have multiple backup destinations but our current push is SATA with compression and it works very well.

We keep large DB backup files, Image backups, and long term retention on physical tape (IBM 3584).

We have researched dedup but at this time it doesn't seem worth investing in. If you compress files or encrypt backups dedup might not help much. We are waiting for the TSM offerings. Adding SATA disk is much cheaper than an EDL.

The only "bad note" i will give it's not the machine, but the lack of knowledge with the EMC Consulting service. There is a small number of EMC employe that are realy good with TSM. it's a matter of finding them!

good tip, now we have to looking for good emc consultants in germany ;-)

We are trying to avoid moving from our EMC DL720 to the newer EDL. We have multiple backup destinations but our current push is SATA with compression and it works very well.

We keep large DB backup files, Image backups, and long term retention on physical tape (IBM 3584).

We have researched dedup but at this time it doesn't seem worth investing in. If you compress files or encrypt backups dedup might not help much. We are waiting for the TSM offerings. Adding SATA disk is much cheaper than an EDL.

^^ thats what I'm thinking too .. Thanks for your answer!

Back