Debian

xarzu

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello Forum!

I have started out on a Linux journey. I have a very old ChemBook laptop computer that had had Windows 95 on it. The world (the on-line world, in particular) had advanced to the point where this laptop was really no longer useful. So I had been thinking that this was a good chance to start learning Linux.

Then a project had developed at work where some other programmers had decided to start using Debian. So I started attempting to install Debian. This did not go very smoothly.

The latest version of Debian (Etch) did not agree immediately with my video hardware. I struggled with this for a while and eventually decided to give Mepis a shot. This worked.

Now I am thinking that once I get some other hardware issue resolved I might switch again after I learn more about Linux.

So this is where I am now. Any suggestions?

Is learning Linux part of your journey towards learning or using TSM on Linux?

If so, I suggest you use Red Hat or SUSE.

Last edited:
I'm not sure

......if your linux experimentation is TSM related or not, but I can give you some advise. If you are new to linux try "linux from scratch". It's a perfect distribution for people learning linux. It really teaches you the internals of the OS. It should work well on old hardware also.

If you're looking for stuff to use on old hardware, consider Knoppix and **** Small Linux. Both are built off of Debian. They are live CD's which boot into RAM and if you really like them, they both have scripts you can run to install them to Hard drive.

If you're looking to experiment with this and TSM, Debian does work with TSM clients (a non-supported, hack that incidentally I found on this site). We even use it in production ;-)

Groener

P.S. I apologize. This forum sees the 3rd Linux Distro name as a swear word. It's "dam small linux" and it's "dam good". Check out www.distrowatch.org. The right side of the website has a top 100 distros.

Last edited:
Back