• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

DDM to LTO5 stgpool backup performance

ChrisRees

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi

So we're quite a new DataDomain user. We have a DD4500 running as a VTL talking to an AIX TSM Server all over 8Gb Fibre channel.

My question is for others running a similar setup, what kind of performance do you get when doing stgpool backups from the DDM to LTO5 tape ?

I have 2 FC ports on the TSM Server zoned to two ports on the DDM and LTO5 drives spread over 4 other FC adapters.

If I do a 6 process stgpool backup from DDM to 6 LTO5 drives I struggle to get over 400Mb/sec, usually around 350Mb/sec.
This is when there are no other TSM server side processes running and no client backups or restores.

I have to get my offsite tapes ready for 11am for a courier so need much better stgpool backup throughput.

If anyone has any reallife examples that would be great.

Thanks

rgg

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Well, the theoretical max for lto-5 uncompressed is ~150 megabytes/sec. 100-120 is more common. If you've got 6 drives, then 6-700 is probably the expected aggregate, minus TSM processing costs...so I'd say 5-600 is probably a good target to shoot for.

Sounds like it's time for you to collect some performance doc to see where the bottleneck is.

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 60 61.2%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 8 8.2%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjkoz