DB2 log issue using TSM

dreamz

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Here again with db2 backups this time.

i'm in the process of configuring the TPC (TotalStorage Productiviy Center) backups using TSM.

All is well so far and have no issues for configuring backups. The question I have here is with Logs. Wlhile enabling archive logging from DB2 control center, i have selected c:\db2logs as the destination for saving primary log files. While backups run fine..huge no of log files are getting accumulated filling the disk quite fast. All of them are 1GB files getting created almost every minute. I realized it when the C drive was almost full and moved some of them to a remote location.

after that, i changed the location of log files from configure database logging GUI to TSM, but when i click on finish and go back to the screen, it would be changed to Filesystem and the location to c:\db2logs. Not sure what's wrong??:confused:

The other question i have is..is it ok to delete the older logs? i guess they are used for restore along with the full db backup?

Could someone please clarify.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Thansk for the link. I too refered the same one.

i redirected the logs to TSM now. But they get created almost every minute and i do see the db2 client hanging in there frequently in Q SE with MediaW status most of the time.

My question is, is this the expected behaviour? Do the logs get created for every min? what configuration changes do we need to make in order to control the very frequent log creation?

nobody experienced this kind of issue?

You can reconfigure DB2 logging to make bigger logs.
Also, set archive copy group of the TSM management class where your db2 is sending logs to go to disk storage pool, not to tape

Check how big logs are. If they are really small (12kb) you need to do "db2 activate"

Also, You do DB2 Archive logging if you need to be able to restore DB2 to the most current state before corruption. With circular logging, you can go as far as your last backup.
You usually want that high protection level for databases with very often transactions, like ones in business/banking application.
With TPC database, I think that circular logging is quite enough, and your life will be a bit easier.

Thank you so much for your reply Mita201.

The DB2 logs were around 1 GB each. Not very familiar with DB2 administration. Hence is the confusion.

Yeah..i like the idea of circular logging for TPC database..but the reason behind archive logging is online backups which are not possible in circular logging. i guess i need a downtime every week to perform offline backups??

You have 1GB logs generated almost every minute?
And yes, you have to make it offline while doing backup when circular logging is enabled, and it might be a problem. But, maybe it is viable solution if there is low activity time (not if you really have 1GB logs created every minute). Backup script will "Quiesce" database before backup and "Unquiesce" it after, so you probably do not have to do anything with application or to create aditional db scripts.

Back