DB2 Backup using Flash copy Manager

frankantony

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

We have requirement to implement DB2 Backups using Flash copy manager for two servers node 001 and 002 (cluster). This is the first time I am going to involve in this set up. Can you please provide me some tips on implemention plan ( document).
What are all the requirements , licence , advantage and disadvantage. We are runing TSM server 6.3 in Linux. Looking forward..

Thanks,
FrankAntony

Hi Friends,

Please provide me some tips. We are using EMC VMAX 20k and 40k , Does IBM Tivoli flash copy Manager support these storage boxes. Please advise.

EMC does not have the FlashCopy functionality, so it won't work.
Unless the EMC system is behind a SVC of course

The idea behind the product is to:
* setup DB in backup mode
* initiate Flashcopy on storage
* attach flashcopied disks to a second server
* make a DB-backup of the copied disks to TSM
* unattach flashcopied disks

A restore can now be done using the DB-tools from the flashcopied disks or from the data within TSM.

If the falsh copy does not work with EMC. What kind backup methods we can use to backup to offload the backup except Lanfree?.

you could make your own with the BCV functionallity of the EMC storage.
A BCV works a bit different, it first synchronized the luns to backup luns and you can split them at a suitable moment (when there are no changes or only controlled changes, eg DB in backup mode)
The split off luns can then be attached to a second server where you could offload the files as a filelevel backup.
Major disadvantage is that the DB cannot be restored from the DB tools anymore. Also it's a bit risky method, since you have to be sure the DB is offline or in backup mode and all data is flushed to disk when the BVC is split off.

They have their own product, Timefinder, but that won't work with TSM last time I checked.

Ok. Thank You . Then Lanfree will be the best method to backup large DB2 database , is it? .Please advise.

Back