DB2 backup question...

yilas

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hello,

I have a question about the backup of DB2... I have compiled the program "db2uext2" and the online backup is OK.

Now, I can see that the logs are saved each time there is a modification inside the database... It is a problem for me because of the configuration I made (I have only one drive...).

In fact, I would like to know whether it is possible to change the behaviour of DB2 (or "db2uext2" ?!?) to forbid the "automatic" backup of the logs. After that, I could save the log periodically (every 2 hours for example)...

Do you know how I can do that ?...

Cordially.

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>What version of db2 are you using? </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

The version is : 7.2.10a

Wow...that's pretty old... =)

I couldn't find listings of DB2 v7.2 patches -

Do you know if v7.2 is really v8.1?

If so I might be able to help - what platform is this on?

If it's straight version 7, I've never worked with that so I may not be able to help much...

Let us know.

Yes, the DB2 I have is old... but I have to work with it ! ;)

> Do you know if v7.2 is really v8.1?

What do you mean ?

I use the DB2 database on a windows 2000 platform.

I'm not an expert on DB but is there a difference between DB2 v7.2 and DB2 v8.1 (at least for the backup or the management of transaction log) ?

Cordially.

Hello,

OK, I try to ask again my question about DB2. Maybe my explanation is not very good.

Currently, I use DB2 and I use TSM for the backup. My "main" problem is : each time there is a modification inside the DB2, one or several logs is/are sent to TSM.

Currently I have only one drive. My problem starts when the migration of data starts. Indeed in that case "DB2 logs" are sent to TSM but are immediately sent to tape. Then it is not possible for me to copy these logs to my copygroup... :cry:

Now I would like to know whether it is possible to change the behaviour of "db2uext2" to send "logs" to TSM server when I want (every 2 hours for example)...

There may be another solution to that problem (please don't say me to buy another drive ;)) but I don't see...

Regards

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>Hello,

OK, I try to ask again my question about DB2. Maybe my explanation is not very good.

Currently, I use DB2 and I use TSM for the backup. My "main" problem is : each time there is a modification inside the DB2, one or several logs is/are sent to TSM.

Currently I have only one drive. My problem starts when the migration of data starts. Indeed in that case "DB2 logs" are sent to TSM but are immediately sent to tape. Then it is not possible for me to copy these logs to my copygroup... :cry:

Now I would like to know whether it is possible to change the behaviour of "db2uext2" to send "logs" to TSM server when I want (every 2 hours for example)...

There may be another solution to that problem (please don't say me to buy another drive ;)) but I don't see...

Regards</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Maybe it is the "On demand log archive" ???

Hello,

It look like your storage pool setup must be adjusted. Try to change your migration parameters so that migration does not start everytime and leave lowmig not to 0.

From another perspective, yes it is possible to setup db2uext2 in a manner that it will send the logs every two hours (or whatever interval you wish). But I personnaly don't like this method...:

- change db2uext2 for disk copy (move files from log dir to logarchive dir, like Oracle per say)

- Use dsmc archive with -deletefiles on the logarchive directory at the interval you wish.

- With this method, you use dsmc retrieve to retrieve the logs, instead of db2adutl. In case of recovery

Pierre

Hi Yilas -

Using what Pmal here said as a basis -

Pmal -

Would he have to adjust the db2uext2 file and recompile it for Disk (although I see no option for that), or is there a value in DB2 v7 where he can redirect the userexit like in DB2 v8 (like this - db2 update db cfg for &lt;DBSID> using LOGARCHMETH1 DISK, etc...)?

Then, your suggestion of picking up the logs on disk via filesystem backup is doable...

Just wondering still how he can redirect the DB2 logs to local disk - and if he has enough space to do it?

-Chef.

Back