DB Backup to disk (ANR4976W)

itdrew

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I want to test backing up the TSM DB to disk. At the moment we back it up to LTO4 tape using a devclass called lto4. I created a new devclass called DISKDBBKP and ran this command to back up the DB to disk:
backup db devclass=diskdbbkp type=full wait=no

I received this message: ANR4976W The device class DISKDBBKP is not the same as device class LTO4 defined for the serverbackup node $$_TSMDBMGR_$$.

1) Do I have to run the SET DBRECOVERY command even though I just want to run a one off TSM DB to disk?
2) What are people doing who may back up to disk sometimes and to tape other times?
3) How can I see what the node $$_TSMDBMGR_$$ is currently set to?

Thank you very much in advance.

Drew

I received this message: ANR4976W The device class DISKDBBKP is not the same as device class LTO4 defined for the serverbackup node $$_TSMDBMGR_$$.
It should be noted that this is a warning, not an error. The backup still succeeded unless there are other errors indicating otherwise.
1) Do I have to run the SET DBRECOVERY command even though I just want to run a one off TSM DB to disk?
Only if you want to change the default location for automatic database backups.
2) What are people doing who may back up to disk sometimes and to tape other times?
Keep the DBRECOVERY pointing to the device class used for automatic backups, and do other ad-hoc backups wherever you need to.
3) How can I see what the node $$_TSMDBMGR_$$ is currently set to?
First, it's not assigned to the node, but rather a setting of the database. "Q DB F=D" will show you.

Thank you all very much for your replies! It was a huge help. I wanted to follow up on this post to let you guys know how it worked out. I brought up TSM in the foreground, ran the DB backup to disk again, and found a message that said the permissions on the filesystem needed adjustment.

Back