DataMover paths for 3-way NAS backup to library attached to TSM server

gshiman

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I am having difficulty configuring DataMover paths from NAS filer (NetApp) to drives of the SCSI tape library attached to TSM server. My understanding is that these paths must be defined for NAS backup via 'backup node' command. So I tried to define one such path, using device name /dev/IBMtape0 from current library setup. However I get the failure, saying that device name is invalid:

tsm: RHTSM71A>def path netapp1 TAPEDRIVE_28 srct=datamover desttype=drive library=sep01 device=/dev/IBMtape0
ANR1737E DEFINE PATH: Device name /dev/IBMtape0 specified is invalid.
ANS8001I Return code 3.

Since device name is valid, I suspect that I am executing wrong command. Unfortunately TSM documentation (TSM 7.1 Administrator's Reference) doesn't help (or perhaps I am missing something).

In few examples on this site it is suggested that drive path uses device name as it is known to NAS filer:
https://adsm.org/lists/html/ADSM-L/2015-04/msg00005.html
https://adsm.org/forum/index.php?threads/configuring-tsm-server-and-netapp-filers.10957/

But in my case the tape library is attached to TSM server and NAS filer doesn't see tape drives. If NAS filer must see the tape drives of the library attached to TSM server, what is the reason for that?

Thanks in advance,
George

I found this in online TSM documentation:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSGSG7_7.1.3/srv.admin/t_ndmp_tape_lib_setup.html

• If the library is connected to NAS file server, make a SCSI or Fibre Channel connection between the NAS file server and the library robotics and drives.
So TSM does require connecting drives to the NAS file server.

So my question remains.

Is it to enforce partitioning of drives of library attached to TSM server - between TSM server and NAS server?

So even though NDMP tape service running on TSM server will be writing to the tapes mounted on the *NDMP* drives, they must be connected to NAS server.
Perhaps that also means that the NAS server will be executing NDMP SCSI pass through commands to mount and unmount the *NDMP* tape drive after a tape is loaded to it by NDMP tape service running on TSM server.

storage show tape
sysconfig -t

run on the nas to get device names (rst0a etc)
The data goes straight to tape, only metadata / control path data go to tsm server

This topic is quite old, but I'm just running into the same problem.
The answer from devo only works with a two-way ndmp backup. We also want to use a three-way backup, so the devices of the drives are not known to the nas.
I created a node of tpye nas and a datamover. When I enter the "backup node" command on the tsm server, it connects via ndmp the the nas. The nas shows no errors:
Wed Oct 25 14:06:17 2023 (1698235577): Transmitted to 1y.1x.16.1; Session:13243 Message : 0x502 (NDMP_NOTIFY_CONNECTION_STATUS) Timestamp : 1698235577 XSequence : 1 RSequence : 0 Error : 0 (NDMP_NO_ERR) Reason : 0 (CONNECTED) Proto Version : 4 Text : Session ID: 4.13243
But after a timeout of 60 seconds the sessions ist closed:
I created a tape storagepool of type ndmpdump, but the tsm server doesn't have a mount point available for the tape.
TSM2G> backup node isilon /ifss3 wait=yes mgmtclass=nas toc=yes mode=full ANR0984I Process 7 for BACKUP NAS (FULL) started in the FOREGROUND at 14:06:19. ANR1063I Full backup of NAS node ISILON, file system /ifss3, started as process 7 by administrator ADMIN. ANR1069E NAS Backup process 7 terminated - insufficient number of mount points available for removable media. ANR0985I Process 7 for BACKUP NAS (FULL) running in the FOREGROUND completed with completion state FAILURE at 14:07:18. ANR1893E Process 7 for BACKUP NAS (FULL) completed with a completion state of FAILURE. ANR1762E BACKUP NODE: Command failed for node ISILON, filespace /ifss3 - mount point unavailable.
The library and drives are only connected to the tsm server and not visible to the nas. So I don't know how to configure the paths to the drives.
Any hints are appreciated.

Back