Database TEST restore fails

Myaso

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello.

First of all, I'm pretty new to TSM. Recently I decided to perform a TSM DB restore TEST to see how capable I'm to do that (it looks like I'm not, so far).. Some details follow:

1. I'm using TSM Server version 5.3.2 in live environment. The TSM server is installed on AIX 5.3. TSM DB is backed up daily to FILE (Full DB backup) and also daily to LTO2 tape (DB snapshot).

2. I have 2 tape libraries:
- TS3500, model L53, with 6 LTO3 drives. (live env.)
- An older 3584, model L23, with 2 LTO3 drives. (test env)

3. I installed same TSM Server version on my TEST TSM server (on same AIX oslevel). Took the freshest DB snapshot tape (with label DBS001) from the LIVE env, manually inserted that tape into one of those LTO3 drives of TEST tape library (which happened to be drive /dev/rmt5 on TEST AIX box)

4. Also, copied those freshest TSM server config files
dsmserv.dsk
dsmserv.opt
volhist.log
devconf.log
from LIVE to TEST AIX box.

5. I had to manually edit the "devconf.log" file since the 2 AIX boxes have some different device names. The contents of devconf.log (on TEST server) follows (I inserted blank lines between meaningful ones, just to make it more readable):

/* Device Configuration */
DEFINE DEVCLASS DBSLTO2_DC DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=ULTRIUM2 MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=1 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=TS3500 WORM=NO

DEFINE DEVCLASS LTO3 DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=ULTRIUM3C MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=10 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=TS3500 WORM=NO

DEFINE DEVCLASS LTO3_DC DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=ULTRIUM3C MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=10 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=TS3500 WORM=NO

SET SERVERNAME TSM

DEFINE LIBRARY TS3500 LIBTYPE=SCSI SERIAL=AUTODETECT SHARED=NO AUTOLABEL=NO RESETDRIVE=NO

DEFINE DRIVE TS3500 LTO3DRV5 ELEMENT=AUTODETECT ONLINE=Yes SERIAL=AUTODETECT

/* LIBRARYINVENTORY SCSI TS3500 DBS001 1050 101*/

DEFINE PATH TSM TS3500 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=LIBRARY DEVICE=/dev/smc1 ONLINE=YES

DEFINE PATH TSM LTO3DRV5 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=TS3500 DEVICE=/dev/rmt5 ONLINE=YES
~

/* end of devconf */

What's not fully understood, the line
looks like comment, but it makes difference in the RESTORE behaviour, depending on what I specify in it,..
I feel that my problem is in this file, but there are no explanations in Redbooks/Admin Guides from IBM that I read, which would explain what exactly I need to put into that file in different situations, There are only couple of simplest examples for manual libraries...:(

7. The restore procedure fails, and the log follows:
# pwd
/usr/tivoli/tsm/server/bin
# dsmserv restore db devclass=DBSLTO2_DC vol=DBS001 commit=yes
ANR7800I DSMSERV generated at 06:14:03 on Sep 27 2005.

Tivoli Storage Manager for AIX-RS/6000
Version 5, Release 3, Level 2.0

Licensed Materials - Property of IBM
(C) Copyright IBM Corporation 1990, 2004.
All rights reserved.
U.S. Government Users Restricted Rights - Use, duplication or disclosure
restricted by GSA ADP Schedule Contract with IBM Corporation.

ANR0900I Processing options file dsmserv.opt.
ANR4726I The ICC support module has been loaded.
ANR8200I TCP/IP driver ready for connection with clients on port 1500.
ANR0200I Recovery log assigned capacity is 13000 megabytes.
ANR0201I Database assigned capacity is 90000 megabytes.
ANR4621I Database backup device class DBSLTO2_DC.
ANR4622I Volume 1: DBS001.
ANR4630I Starting point-in-time database restore (commit).
ANR0300I Recovery log format started; assigned capacity 13000 megabytes.
ANR8300E I/O error on library TS3500 (OP=00006C03, CC=207, KEY=05, ASC=21,
ASCQ=01,
SENSE=70.00.05.00.00.00.00.0A.00.00.00.00.21.01.00.C0.00.04.,
Descrip
tion=Device is not in a state capable of performing request). Refer to
Appendix D in the 'Messages' manual for recommended action.
ANR1401W Mount request denied for volume DBS001 - mount failed.
ANR4578E Database backup/restore terminated - required volume was not mounted.
#

I'm not sure what that "Appendix D in the 'Messages' manual" is.
Actually, I saw this message already a number of times in different circumstances, I feel it's kind of a generic error message TSM gives...

Any advice will be appreciated!!! Also, I will post any other details if it's needed.

Myaso

PREDATAR Control23

You are right. It is a generic error message.

Your new instance of TSM doesn't know where volume DBS001 is located. So it doesn't sound like it can mount it. The devcnfg.out (at least on Windows) is the file that will say what element number of what device class contains the volume. That is what you need to have working.

Also, a quick suggestion. Your Log file is probably too big. I would not make one the maximum size of 13000 MB (and most Admins here would probably agree). Slim down the log file to something smaller. You always want to leave yourself some room in case you have a problem, like this one.

PREDATAR Control23

That message isn't generic. It has scsi sense data that is useful.

The messages manual:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/topic/com.ibm.itsmm.doc/ascdesc.htm

ASC 21 ASCQ 01 means that you are asking for the wrong element address.

That line in the devconfig that you're confused about is information on where that tape is located in the library. 1050 is the storage slot element. Either put the tape in that slot, or change it to match the slot the tape is in.

PREDATAR Control23

I wonder, what would be the correct syntax to proprly point TSM to the tape DBS001 in drive /dev/rmt5 ?
Is it defined in line
?

Which values should be in it?

Also, how does the log size affect the ability (or inability) to restore the DB ?

Thank's!

PREDATAR Control23

If you mounted the tape in rmt5, then you want to use a devclass pointing to a manual library. With your setup, TSM is trying to tell the library to mount a tape in the drive. If it's already in the drive, define a manual library with 1 drive, and that drive is rmt5.

PREDATAR Control23

Thank you wildwest!
I didn't realise I can first define manual library, then restore the DB, then start server and redefine my devices being in new TSM realm.

I managed to restore DB with the manual lib.

looks ok!:)

Myaso.

PREDATAR Control23

... and just to conclude, here is the devconf.log file how it looks now:

/* Device Configuration */
DEFINE DEVCLASS DBSLTO2_DC DEVTYPE=LTO FORMAT=ULTRIUM2 MOUNTLIMIT=DRIVES MOUNTWAIT=60 MOUNTRETENTION=1 PREFIX=ADSM LIBRARY=TS3500 WORM=NO

SET SERVERNAME TSM

DEFINE LIBRARY TS3500 LIBTYPE=MANUAL

DEFINE DRIVE TS3500 LTO3DRV5 ONLINE=Yes SERIAL=AUTODETECT

DEFINE PATH TSM LTO3DRV5 SRCTYPE=SERVER DESTTYPE=DRIVE LIBRARY=TS3500 DEVICE=/dev/rmt5 ONLINE=YES