Database moved, backups won't run

sandragon

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Our TSM Server had over 40 DB volumes defined. On IBM's suggested we moved to a smaller number of volumes. This... did not go as planned.

We're on TSM 6.3.5 running on AIX 7.1. Sunday night we disabled all access to the server with a 'disable ses' command, then ran a full backup. We followed the instructions from IBM (which have been mirrored here in several threads) to delete the old instance of the DB, run the DB restore from the commandline. The Restore took about 5.5 hours. Since then, things have been horribly wrong and IBM doesn't seem to have an answer.

Backups that started during our scheduled window... are still sitting there as if they just started. The most any session has transferred is 2.1MB. We usually move 15TB in a night. Expiration will not run. Any attempt to start an expiration process spawns nothing. However, you can't re-run the command as 'an expiration thread is already in progress'. Cancel expiration doesn't stop this either.

Licence audits have also been frozen since 10am yesterday.

Our Arch Log size has remained static and the active log is empty. I've got 4000 sessions standing open in 'run' status.

The only thing that works right now is tape operations. Tape to tape copies, direct to tape backups of the DB, and Lanfree seem to work.

Anyone seen this? Any ideas?

Escalate further within IBM if the current support team have no answers.

The active log being empty is concerning - is there anything in db2diag log file? Also worth verifying db2 cfg values (db2 get db cfg for db TSMDB1)

I've escalated further within IBM, yes. The DB2 diag file is indeed filled with entries. I've sent the contents off to IBM as well as my act log for the past 48 hours and various show commands they requested upon the escalation.

Well, it appears that when the database restore was completed, DB2 took a look at the indices and flagged our Backup Objects index as bad. So we're stuck waiting for it to rebuild.

Back