Database Load taking for ever

Stuart

Newcomer
Reaction score
We have the following situation:

Due to a lack of Library slots the log filled up to its maximum of 13 Gb, we were unable to extend the log files and restart the TSM server.

The 108Gb TSM database was dumped to tape (ltoclass). We then ran loadformat to prepare the log and database devices. We then ran loaddb. It has been running for 43 hours, so far we have loaded 471000 000 database entries and still loading...

Hardware specs are Intel P4 Xeon 2.4 Ghz, with 2.5 Gb RAM on Windows 2003.

Any formula as to how long the load could take?

Any advice as to recovering the server would be appreciated.

Stuart

Stuart,

Your situation sounds pretty nasty.

What I do know anecdotally is that what you are doing is very slow and gets slower the closer to the end you get.

108GB=115,964,116,992bytes in the database

If it was the case that you had restored pretty much the whole 108GB database at this point then each of the 471,000,000 objects would occupy 246 bytes. The true utilization of the database is never 100% meanwhile more objects are presumably still to come, hence the true value must be less than this.

The problem I have in calculating this is that the TSM Implementation guide says that each object backed up uses around 600 bytes (I have seen this sometimes as 400-600 bytes) and 200 bytes for every object in a copy pool. I should have thought you would be done by now!

My database has 69,587,182 object, has 67,000MB of assigned space of which it is using 40%, hence I reckon I am using about

70254592000bytes * .4=28101836800 bytes

=> 403 bytes per object.

For some detail on what you are doing (all be it a few years old) try the following URL:

http://www.lrz-muenchen.de/services/datenhaltung/adsm/sonstiges/ADSM.QuickFacts.txt

I recommend the sections......

ADSM DATABASE STRUCTURE AND DUMPDB/LOADDB

dsmserv UNLOADDB

dsmserv LOADDB

Good luck!

Incidentally, I guess you don't need to be told this but, NEVER define the full 13GB of log.

Back