database backup retention setting

pong3d

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Is there a setting to control how many db backups are kept? Thanks.

PREDATAR Control23

In version 5.5.x you can query the drmstatus (q drmstat) to see the settings and you use the following command to set the days kept.

Set DRMDBBackupexpiredays--days

PREDATAR Control23

its little different for TSM database retension, if you use tape to backup database, this tape doen't come to scratch until you run 'delete volhistory' command.
Assume you are running database backup daily and its going to tape, and you are also running 'delete volhistory' command which is deleting volumes which are used for database backup older than 5 day. it means you are keeping 5 versions of TSM database.

PREDATAR Control23

its little different for TSM database retension, if you use tape to backup database, this tape doen't come to scratch until you run 'delete volhistory' command.
Assume you are running database backup daily and its going to tape, and you are also running 'delete volhistory' command which is deleting volumes which are used for database backup older than 5 day. it means you are keeping 5 versions of TSM database.

This can be fine only if you do not use DRM.

If DRM is in use, fuzzballer post is true.

PREDATAR Control23

This can be fine only if you do not use DRM.

If DRM is in use, fuzzballer post is true.

Depends. Even if you are use DRM, it´s recommended that use both of methods to backup database.

To control retention for DRM (offsite Database Backup) - Set DRMDBBackupexpiredays 3
To control retention for (Onsite Database Backup) - del volhist todate=today-5 t=dbb

The deletion it´s different because Offsite Database Backup have type=dbs and Onsite Database Backup have type=dbb

Regards,

PREDATAR Control23

Depends. Even if you are use DRM, it´s recommended that use both of methods to backup database.

To control retention for DRM (offsite Database Backup) - Set DRMDBBackupexpiredays 3
To control retention for (Onsite Database Backup) - del volhist todate=today-5 t=dbb

The deletion it´s different because Offsite Database Backup have type=dbs and Onsite Database Backup have type=dbb

Regards,

Not accurate. Offsite database backups can be dbs or dbb. It depends on how the TSM admin is doing the backup and how it is using the move drmedia command (source parameter).
DRMDBBackupexpiredays will expire any type database backup that reach the expiration retention AND (is in VAULT state or server volume) AND it is not part of the most recent backup series.

What you maybe tried to say is that it is a good idea to take dbb backups to keep them onsite and take dbs to send them offsite. That way by using 'del volhist t=dbb' will not mess with the offsite backups that should be managed by DRM (DRMDBBackupexpiredays).

Some reference: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tsminfo/v6r2/topic/com.ibm.itsm.srv.ref.doc/r_cmd_volhistory_delete.html?resultof="DRMDBBackupexpiredays" "drmdbbackupexpiredai" "volhistory" "volhistori"

Rudy

Last edited:
PREDATAR Control23

is possible to do administrator schedule for "To control retention for (Onsite Database Backup) - del volhist todate=today-5 t=dbb" ?

PREDATAR Control23

is possible to do administrator schedule for "To control retention for (Onsite Database Backup) - del volhist todate=today-5 t=dbb" ?
yes, you can run a admin schedule or by a script.

PREDATAR Control23

then can i create like this or do i need to add some other steps

define schedule DB_expire type=administrative cmd="del volhist todate=today-5 t=dbb" active=yes description="DB Expire" dayofweek=any starttime=10:00 startdate=today

PREDATAR Control23

then can i create like this or do i need to add some other steps

define schedule DB_expire type=administrative cmd="del volhist todate=today-5 t=dbb" active=yes description="DB Expire" dayofweek=any starttime=10:00 startdate=today
yes this would be fine.

PREDATAR Control23

some explain this

del volhist todate=today-5 t=dbb

today-5 mean :- from today 5thday old volhist delet or it will delet today and 5day history

Rdgs,
Bharani

PREDATAR Control23

Today - 5 means current date/time minus 5 days. It will delete all those prior to that.

PREDATAR Control23

so it is like this

Get delete and 6th day data will be in backup for next fivedays right
(1D 2D 3D 4D 5D )6D

PREDATAR Control23

i have tested and i got it kindly ignore above comments