Data Protection for Hyper-V Console Crash.

kalfakakos53

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello and thank you for accepting me in ADSM.org.
This my first post.

My environment is the following:

Server Version: Spectrum Protect 8.1.5 (Installed on Windows Server 2012 Standard)
Client version: Spectrum Protect for hyper-V 8.1.4 with the patch 8.1.4.2 installed on Windows server 2016 Datacenter
Client hardware: IBM System x3850-x5

We have a four node cluster , hosting 91 virtual machines.
The most of the backup is fine, but we deal with a very strange issue.
When we try to access one particular Virtual Machine through the Data Protection for Hyper-V console (dphv.msc)
the console crashes.
The error of the console is:

Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.

Exception Stack trace:
at Microsoft.ManagementConsole.Internal.SnapInMessagePumpProxy.OnThreadException(Object sender, ThreadExceptionEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.OnThreadException(Exception t)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

The specific server is a ''file server'' running Windows Server 2012 R2 , with Windows Data Deduplication enabled and has over 2TB
of backed up data through daily schedule.
The schedule works fine, but when we try to access the server through the dphv console (for manual backup or restore) the console crashes with the error mentioned earlier.
We have try the procedure from all four nodes with the same results (crash)
All the hosts are fully updated from Microsoft Update and fully updated for firmware updates through IBM Fix Central.

Any help would be truly appreciated..... Thank you.

Hey, I think this is more of an OS related problem that TDPVE .. Did you check with the MS support?

Thank you for your reply.
Opening a case to MS it's the next step after the answer that i'm waiting from IBM Support where i have already case opened. On the other hand I am thinking that if it was OS related issue rather than DPHY , it should crash when accessing any vm and not only a specific one. Any way sooner or later there will be a solution and i will post it here. Until then fingers crossed for no need of a restore for this vm. ;-) Thabks once more for your reply.

Back