data encryption on tapes

br4msc

Newcomer
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

I saw this topic thread in the past. Now that I need the information I can't find it.

A lawyer in our corporate office wants to know if TSM encrypts data that is stored on LTO tapes. Being a lawyer he wants the name of the manual,whitepaper or IBM redbook that he can reference.

We have TSM v4.2.1.11 on an AIX server with an LTO Tape Library. All of our data is backed up to disk then copied to, and migrated to tape.

Thanks to all!

reply to: [email protected]

PREDATAR Control23

I know that you can encrypt the data that is being sent from the client to the server.

The data that is stored in the tape library is not really "encrypted" in a way.

If some one walks off with all the tape in the tape library, but does not take the TSM data base. The person would not be able to read the data with another TSM server. The TSM server will know that there is data on the tapes, but without the database the data can not be access. All the pointers are stored in the data base. Without the data base the TSM server have no idea what is the data.

I have not seen anything in the manuals or red book(s) about encrypting the data on the tape. I do not know if TSM 5.1 does "encrypt" the data stored on the tape.

Sais

PREDATAR Control23

Encryption can be turned on in tivoli before the data is transmitted, and then the data is stored in it's encrypted format on the disk or tape. A user can also use their own 3rd party encryption product instead.

Once on the server side, the data is tracked through the DBMS. If someone got ahold of the tapes somehow, they are useless without the DBMS.

Haven't seen a red book on this.

Hope this helps.

Elana