Data Encryption issues

bernardb

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I have reviewed some of the discussions regarding encryption of data on the forum. I was wondering a few things. 1) If anyone is using client encryption what type of throughput penalty are you experiencing. 2) If cost was not an issue is there a hardware device that could encrypt tsm server to fc attached tape and how would you recover the encryption key if that piece of hardware failed. 3) if one used hardware encryption is there a throughput penalty? 4) Are there redundanct configurations for hardware encryption. 5) Are any of the hardware solutions supported by IBM? Thanks

If you find out anything, let me know too. I turned aes128 encryption on for some 15 AIX/HP servers. Backup times fluxuated, but there was some increase. Now that was for 'every day' file systems. The Oracle full backups is another story. Backup times were extreemly long. It was so bad, I had to withdraw the change and now re-evaluating the best approach (i.e.; more backup processes, use DES56, etc.). That's all I have to offer for now.

Back