Daily Monitoring TSM + TS3100

chafik

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
PREDATAR Control23

Hello everyone,

I'm hired in a new company, they have a lot of troubles with TSM, I'm new to TSM but I can learn.
I'm looking for a document including a daily tasks to check on backups and tapes.

Thank you

PREDATAR Control23

Looks like you will have your hands (and feet) full for the next two or so months as you learn the TSM routine.

First of all, you need to know (or, find out) some (and post here if you need further help) key factors:

- TSM Server version
- Platform on which TSM Server is running on
- Is DRM in use?
- Description of the environment: do you do traditional TSM backup: node -> disk -> tape and copy to tape for DR
- How big is the environment - number of nodes? Kinds of systems backed up: Windows, *NIX, SQL, Oracle, etc?

Answers to the above can dictate how simple or elaborate the daily routine or maintenance you should be doing.

The TSM daily maintenance fundamentals always has:

- have the nodes been backed up correctly?
- did the copy from primary to copy tape pool finished without issues?
- has the TSM DB been backed up?
- has expiration ran?
- do you have enough tapes - private or scratch?
- were the copy tapes removed from the library and send to offsite?
- if DRM is in use, have you created a RPF and saved it elsewhere?
- Saved a copy of the VOLHIST and DEVCONFIG elsewhere?

As I said, these are the basics on just the TSM Server side. If you also manage the missed and failed backups on the node side, then there is a lot of other routine or fire-fighting that you need to do.

If you are really new to TSM and would be the 'man' for the job, go and attend TSM courses.

Good luck!