creating copy pool

talk2dang

Newcomer
Reaction score
let say if I have a small library and it can't hold all my tapes. I start my first copypool. It finished when it out of scratch tapes. Now my question is how do I know what tapes have already been copied to the copypool. Is there such command for that? I want to take those tapes out so i can have more slots for scratch tape. Thanks in advance!

Thanks Ed for helping me out. I know if you do a "q drm" you will get a list of tapes that copypool tapes and db backup tapes, but I am not looking for those. What I want to know is what primary pool tapes have I already had a copy of?

One easy way - do a backup of the primary tape pool and if something runs, it means you don't have a backup yet. If there is a backup, TSM will tell you.

Maybe I am not making clear of the question. For example I have a primary tape pool contain tape number from 1 to 90 and 10 scratch tapes in the library. When I start the backup of the primary pool to the copy pool, it will pick a certain tape from the primary pool and make a copy of it. It will eject the tape out once it done copy all data from it and go to the next tape. Once it finish copy all 10 of the scratch tape it may already copy 20 or 30 tapes from the primary pool. I want to find out what are the 20 or 30 primary pool tapes have it already copy. Because let say if I want to continue make copy of the primary pool it will start where it left off. It will not need the 20 or 30 tapes that is already copy, so if that the case I want to take those out and fill them with scratch tapes. Does anyone know how I can get that?

A very good question, but I do not know your answer or if it is possible to find out the percentage a tape has been copied.

However, there is a lot more management of tapes in doing what you are proposing. When expiration runs, it will eventually attempt to reclaim a tape, once full, but is now out of the library and mark it unavailable, same with restores that need the tape, etc.

Now if you have to take the tapes out, I understand but you may wish to look at adding more slots.

Maybe I am not making clear of the question. For example I have a primary tape pool contain tape number from 1 to 90 and 10 scratch tapes in the library. When I start the backup of the primary pool to the copy pool, it will pick a certain tape from the primary pool and make a copy of it. It will eject the tape out once it done copy all data from it and go to the next tape. Once it finish copy all 10 of the scratch tape it may already copy 20 or 30 tapes from the primary pool. I want to find out what are the 20 or 30 primary pool tapes have it already copy. Because let say if I want to continue make copy of the primary pool it will start where it left off. It will not need the 20 or 30 tapes that is already copy, so if that the case I want to take those out and fill them with scratch tapes. Does anyone know how I can get that?

Well, your issue is indicative of a scenario where you don't have enough slots to really use TSM properly. You DON'T take out primary tapes from the library as a BASIC rule. If you don't have enough slots, add them. If you want to reduce the usage of primary tapes, run reclamation.

When the backup primary pool stops (runs out of scratch tapes), view the activity log for primary pool volumes that process mounted. Move those to an overflow location and replace them with scratch tapes and start your backup again.
If I remember correctly TSM will request a tape from the overflow location if it needs it again.

Take a look in the admin guide/reference manual, at the move media command, this will give you a idea of how to manage the volumes, you are having to move out of the library in order to maintain enough scratch tape in the library.

The system will prompt you when a tape in the overflow location needs to be put back into the library.

I would also contact support, I remember there being some online documentation, technotes, on handling this situation, but can't find them at the support site.

It sounds like you need a bigger library or more slots added to the library you currently have.

Good Luck

Back