Couple of Queries for TSM Experts

bobbyasr2000

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am a new TSM user, who is going through the documentation of TSM. We are planning to implement a backup solution, where we will have two Windows 2003 Clusters each for File Servers and Exchange Servers and couple of other hosts (like AD, Print and Citrix data store servers). File and Exchange will be on SAN environment and Tape and Disk I/O will be on separate HBA.

Library will be IBM3583 with Ultrium III with fiber connectivity to each drive and with 72 Slots. Each host in each cluster will have dual path for Disk I/O and single path for Tape I/O. All the tape drives and single Tape HBA on all hosts will be connected to the single fabric. So all these host will have single path to tape drives.

File Cluster will be Active/Active Config and Exchange Cluster will be in Active/Passive Config. Backup will be taken as LAN Free Backup i.e. over Fiber

For all “other Host” i.e AD, Print and Citrix data store, Backup will be taken over N/W.

As I have seen reference to this forum in one of the Redbook, so I thought it would be a good idea to share our implementation plan with all the TSM experts on this site and ask for their expert comment.

Queries:

- Any document specifying the integration of 3583 library with TSM.

- is there any limitation or issues of storing TSM database on SAN drive. We would like to store the database on SAN drive to replicate across the DR site.

-I have mentioned the Backup schedule and its offsite retention policy for File, Exchange and all other hosts. What is recommended way to implement the below vaulting scheme. Do we need to create separate storage pools to implement the scheme? If yes, how many?

-Do we need to implement the Disaster Recovery Module for implement this Vaulting scheme? If yes, do we need to buy the license separately or whether IBM gives this as a part of TSM enterprise edition

-In case of file servers, is there any additional software required except Backup/Restore Client and storage agent to implement LAN Free Backup?

-in case of exchange servers, do we need to backup/restore client before installing TDP and storage agent.

-do we need “quick loop” license on Fiber Switches (Brocade) to configure 3583 library and its fiber drives.

-do we need to install ultrium drivers before installing TSM on the server or will it use the internal drivers available in O/S or TSM

-do we need to install Changer drivers before installing TSM on the server or will it use the internal drivers available in O/S or TSM.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

File Cluster Servers:

Each node of each of this cluster will host couple of Virtual Servers. These virtual servers will be used to hosts data for group share and individual share. In case of any node failure, its respected virtual servers and storage drives will be failed over to another physical node of the cluster.

Data Backup Schedule and Retention Policy

Daily Backup: Differential Backup of data will taken daily from Monday to Saturday. This daily backup will be retained for four weeks onsite. No daily backup will be sent to offsite for vault.

Weekly Backup: Full Backup will be initiated on Sunday night. Another copy of this data on tape media will be created and will be sent to offsite for Vault. This weekly data (onsite and offsite) will be retained for a month (Four Weeks).

Monthly Backup: Full Backup of the Sunday of Fourth week of the month will be considered as Monthly Backup. A copy of this backup data on tape will be sent to offsite as a vault. The onsite backup copy will be retained for four weeks. This offsite data copy will be retained for another 52 weeks i.e. one year.

Yearly Backup: Full Backup will be started on Sunday of Fourth week of the Dec. A copy of this backup data on tape will be sent to offsite as a vault. The onsite backup copy will be retained for four weeks. This offsite data copy will be retained for forever.

O/S and System State Backup Schedule and Retention Policy

Daily Backup: Full backup will be done on daily basis from Monday to Saturday. This daily backup will be retained for Seven Day. No daily backup will be sent to offsite for vault.

Weekly Backup: Full Backup on every Sunday will be considered as weekly backup. This backup tape will be sent to offsite for vaulting and will be retained for four weeks.

Monthly/Yearly Backup: No Monthly Backup

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exchange Clusters Servers

Environmental Details

There will be two active/passive Windows 2003 Cluster (2 nodes each) systems, which will be connected to storage area network. One of the each node of this cluster will host exchange server at one point of time. In case of failure of active node, exchange server application will be failed over to another node.

Storage Space for above exchange servers will be presented from D4500 Storage Array connected to SAN.

Each of these nodes will have its dedicated one Fibre HBA for Tape I/O. LAN Free backup will be taken for these servers.

Data Backup Schedule and Retention Policy

Daily/Weekly Backup: Full Backup of exchange servers will taken daily from Monday to Sunday. This daily backup will be sent to offsite next morning. These backups will be retained at offsite with a retention period of four weeks at offsite

Monthly Backup: A copy of Full Backup of the “Sunday of the Fourth week” of the month will be taken on tape. This will be treated a Monthly Backup. This tape will be sent to offsite as a vault and will be retained for 52 weeks i.e. a year.

Yearly Backup: A copy of Full Backup of the “Sunday of the Fourth week” of the Dec will be taken on tape. This will be treated as Yearly Backup. This tape will be sent to offsite as a vault and will be retained forever.

O/S and System State Backup Schedule and Retention Policy

Daily Backup: Full backup will be done on daily basis from Monday to Thursday. This daily backup will be retained for Seven Day. No daily backup will be sent to offsite for vault.

Weekly Backup: Full Backup on every Friday will be considered as weekly backup. This backup tape will be sent to offsite for vaulting and will be retained for four weeks.

Monthly/Yearly Backup: No Monthly/Yearly Backup

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TSM Database Backup

TSM server will be a standalone server connected on SAN. Database will be hosted on the drives, which will be presented from DS4500.

Storage Space for above exchange servers will be presented from D4500 Storage Array connected to SAN.

Backup Server will have its dedicated Fibre HBA for Tape I/O. LAN Free backup will be taken for these servers.

Database Backup Schedule and Retention Policy

Daily Backup: Full backup will be done on daily basis from Monday to Sunday. Tape Copy of this daily backup will be created and will be sent to offsite as a vault. Onsite and Offsite media will be retained for a period of 7 days.

Weekly/Monthly/Yearly: No Backup

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AD, Print and Citrix Data Store

Backup will be done over the TCP/IP N/W.

Data, O/S and System State Backup Schedule and Retention Policy

Daily Backup: Full backup will be done on daily basis from Monday to Sunday. No Vaulting will be done for daily backup. Daily backup will be retained for 7 days.

Weekly Backup: Full Backup on every Sunday will be considered as weekly backup. Tape Copy of this backup tape will be sent to offsite for vaulting and will be retained for four weeks.

Monthly Backup: A copy of Full Backup of the “Sunday of the Fourth week” of the month will be taken on tape. This will be treated a Monthly Backup. This tape will be sent to offsite as a vault and will be retained for 52 weeks i.e. a year.

Boy you sure ask a lot of questions........

Let see how many we can answer for you, and take additional questions from there.

1) Try looking at the http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/ website, it is a fabulous resource for in deapth articles for many subjects.

2) In TSM you need to protect your DB as best you can. If you have a good SAN storage solution use it. Just remember, the DB in TSM is the most important component, protected it becasue with out it your hopelessly lost. If you really want to be sure use the mirroring capabilities within TSM to have multiple copies stored out there. You will have to decide how warm and fuzzy you are based on the resources at your disposal.

3) In order to keep data onsite you will need a primary storage pool, and a copypool for tapes going offsite. How many of these pairs you have will depend upon your situation. I choose to seperate test & development from produciton because I have differant rotations for each. But, you will need to think about what goals your trying to accomplish, and implement your storage pool pairs accordingly.

4) The DRM module is optional, however it makes the automation of rotating offste volumes MUCH easier. A rotation schedule can be accomplished without it, but reports from other users indicate that it's ugly to do.

5) I would recommend that you install all needed device drivers, and such before installing the server. Likewise witht he client, install the basic backup/restore client before the TDP's. The basic client will install the necessary framework components for the TDP's. Besides you will need both to backup the part of the server the TDP does not.

6) TSM approachs backups differantly than other packages, as it uses an incremential forever approach to backups. Therefore ask you self what value your really getting out of the monthly, or yearly backups. If you must do them, do NOT under any circumstace mix your daily backups with your monthly, or yearly backups!!! Never, ever do this. Why you ask, because it will make chaos on you reclaim processing.

7) Lastly, stop thinking about backups in terms of days, weeks or months, when using TSM think in terms of versions. Time has no meaning to TSM only number of versions.

Let us know if you have additional questions,

Andy.

Back