Copypool reclamation issue

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
I've run into a situation where reclamation is not working the way I need it to for creating tapes that ship offsite. We maintain a copy pool and reclaim it every week so we can send a full copy of the data offsite. One of the full tapes in the copy pool is over 99% utilized so it won't reclaim with threshold=1. Do I have to wait until files expire until this process will work as needed? Anything I can do in the meantime if I need to get a copy offsite? I don't think I can move copy pool data off the volume.

The percent utilized is not the value used to determine if a volume qualifies for reclamation or not. The "percent reclaimable" is the value the threshold compares against. So if it's less than 1%, then yes it won't reclaim.

How are you doing offsite reclamation? Do you bring all the copy tapes onsite? That's typically not what you do. You'd run your offsite reclamation with all the copy tapes offsite, it will use the primary pool as the source to create new copy volumes using less tapes, then will give you a list of copy tapes you can bring back as scratch when you ship the new copy tapes out.

More info: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl....itsm.srv.doc/c_reclaim_copy_adp.html?lang=en

We do not bring the tapes onsite when we reclaim. We just do a RECLAIM STG DR_LTO6_COPY THRESHOLD=1 which should pull from the primary pool. I've been getting:
ANR2753I (RECLAIM_DR):ANR2111W RECLAIM STGPOOL: There is no data to process for DR_LTO6_COPY. I'm assuming this is because one of the copypool volumes as pct reclamable space of .6% (pct util = 99.4%).

Right, it's working normal. Just continue with normal operations, backup stgpool daily, run offsite reclamation (maybe higher threshold, up to you), and send new offsite tapes offsite, and bring back offsite tapes on the days there is something to reclaim.

Back