CopyPool Disk Replacement

CDixon13550

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hello all, first time here. We use TSM 6.3 and I have a question concerning our copypool. We use a disks for our copypool that are located on a Quantum storage array setup with a NAS share. We recently upgraded the hardware for our Quantum array. I now need to setup a new copypool on this new array. I believe I have the steps down to create the new copypool and volumes on the new array. My question is, what would be the best practice as far as the old data that is on the copypool? Rename the old copypool and leave the data to expire off or migrate the data from one to another. My thinking right now is to remove the old copypool, add the new pool, and run a copy script to copy data from our primary backuppools to the new copypool. Am I on the right track or completely in left field?

Sounds right to me.

Another option might be to rsync the old copy pool volumes to the new array at the OS layer, and then remount the new array at the old location. TSM generally works on paths, so it shouldn't know any better as long as the data copied is identical. There are things you need to consider when doing this, like making sure no writes happen during the sync etc, but it might save you a lot of in-TSM processing time to copy the primary back to the new array as you're proposing.

Back