• Please help support our sponsors by considering their products and services.
    Our sponsors enable us to serve you with this high-speed Internet connection and fast webservers you are currently using at ADSM.ORG.
    They support this free flow of information and knowledge exchange service at no cost to you.

Please welcome our latest sponsor Tectrade . We can show our appreciation by learning more about Tectrade Solutions
  • Community Tip: Please Give Thanks to Those Sharing Their Knowledge.

If you receive helpful answer on this forum, please show thanks to the poster by clicking "LIKE" link for the answer that you found helpful.

• Community Tip: Forum Rules (PLEASE CLICK HERE TO READ BEFORE POSTING)

Click the link above to access ADSM.ORG Acceptable Use Policy and forum rules which should be observed when using this website. Violators may be banned from this website. This notice will disappear after you have made at least 3 posts.

Copy to cloud

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
We are looking at ways to store our data (or subset) to the cloud & eliminate having to ship physical media offsite every week. I know v7 supports cloud stg pools and there seems to be a big push for this, although I think we need to store everything locally and set up a copy stg pool to the cloud. Can this be done? Does anyone have experience with Openstack (Swift or Cinder) and Amazon S3? Are there better options? There seems to be very little info out there on the subject.

moon-buddy

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
This is not an answer to your question but I would like to point out issues that one should consider when using the cloud:

1. How sensitive is your data?
2. If you lost data in the cloud, would your company be subject to legal actions, etc? (there is always something on the fine print about this from any cloud provider: not legally liable, etc.)
3. Assuming that data is not sensitive (really, can't be since backups are created!), is the company willing to wait for long restore times in case the primary system is not available?

Since I am also a security professional, I frown at solutions that I could not touch or see, and the cloud is one such solution. Given the rate of hacking attacks, I believe that cloud technology is not safe if your data is sensitive, legally binding, and can cause the business to collapse if lost.

Once more, my two cents.

marclant

ADSM.ORG Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www-947.ibm.com
I know v7 supports cloud stg pools and there seems to be a big push for this, although I think we need to store everything locally and set up a copy stg pool to the cloud. Can this be done?
Not exactly. The cloud container pools can only be primary pools, not copy pools. So you are essentially storing a single copy offsite and rely on the cloud provider. If you want two copies, then you would need 2 TSM Servers with node replication, one or both TSM servers could be using cloud containers.

Are there better options?
Today, you only have 2 options: IBM® SoftLayer or OpenStack Swift
source: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowl...v.common/r_techchg_srv_stgpool_cloud_713.html

If you want to know more about container pool, there are a series of videos on the Spectrum Protect YouTube channel. Here's a link to the first one in a series of 4 videos:

gernthefish

ADSM.ORG Member
Reaction score
To follow up on this thread, I was able to set up an AWS-S3 storage gateway, mount drives on my TSM server (Linux) and create a native storage pool (not container). It's obviously slower than local drives, but you can speed things up a little by setting up the AWS pool as a NEXT stg pool for a local disk pool. It's not in "production" yet, but seems to work.

Mubasshir

Active Newcomer
Reaction score
The video series on the Spectrum Protect YouTube channel is really helpful. Thanks

Advertise at ADSM.ORG

If you are reading this, so are your potential customer. Advertise at ADSM.ORG right now.

UpCloud high performance VPS at $5/month

Get started with $25 in credits on Cloud Servers. You must use link below to receive the credit. Use the promo to get upto 5 month of FREE Linux VPS.

The Spectrum Protect TLA (Three-Letter Acronym): ISP or something else?

• Every product needs a TLA, Let's call it ISP (IBM Spectrum Protect).

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • Keep using TSM for Spectrum Protect.

Votes: 61 61.6%
  • Let's be formal and just say Spectrum Protect

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • Other (please comement)

Votes: 8 8.1%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fabiont