Copy Storage Pool Catch-Up

ILCattivo

ADSM.ORG Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a scenario where a Primary Stg Pool (FileCl) had to be stopped from backing up to a Copy Pool (LTO6) on an old 6.3.x TSM System due to the DB running out of capacity. This was a fair few months ago and since then I have managed to successfully upgrade the system to v7.1.7 & shrink the db via offline re-org processes.

So what I would like to know is how do I determine how much catching up there requires to be done between the Primary & Copy pool backups, given that this particular system ingests pretty much 4Tb of daily backup data (before dedup).

How also is it best to approach this catching up with daily maintenance tasks playing their role, like Stg pool backup, db backups, expiration, reclamation(disk & offsite tape), running during the early morning & day daily? Surely the Stg pool backup could potentially run for days possibly weeks in an attempt to catch up? Has anyone experienced anything like this before and been successful at recovering from it so that everything is back to normal, eventually?

Thanks

You could use run the backup stgpool with preview=yes, it won't copy anything, but it will tell you how much work there is to do.

Once you know how much many TB needs to be copied. You could run the backup stgpool for a few hours and see how much TB/hour you are copying and then calculate how long it will take you.

To catch up the quickest, anytime the server is idle, start the backup stgpool with as many processes as you can, and cancel it before the next scheduled activity starts. If you could spare a tape drive or two the rest of the day, you could potentially run it concurrently with other workload and just let it run 7x24 until it catches up.

Thanks marclant, that was similar to my thought process too. Doesn't help that SKLM is encrypting the tapes as part of the Storage Pool backup process which doesn't exactly help in terms of speed..

The Primary Pool is backing up to TS3200 with 4 Drives, so will have to reserve 2 processes for STG POOL backups running for 7/24, use the other two for 'offsite reclaim' early morning for a period of time until the Offsite DB Backup requires one.

Gonna have to fiddle around with a few duration settings to get the timings right in my various maintenance scripts.

Back